Gas Gas Txt 280 Year 2000

olliemoto

how are these bikes, had a shot on one today looking to buy it

the front brake is a bit spongie and the clutch slips thought it might just need seals but not sure

the back shock is a bit on the soft side but im sure it can be ajjusted

are there any other things i should no about these

the back exhaust looks like it has had some bodging done to it so might look for another one if i buy it, or do they use seals to sort this aswell ?

please help

thanks guys

I would stay away from bikes that old. Likely to be a long line of repairs that will detract from your enjoyment.

i wouldnt say that about older bikes,ok some of them are a bit on the rough side but if you have a good look around there are some real good tidy bikes out there.ive just bought a 2000 txt280 and its perfect have had it for about 4 weeks and its in mint condition with an engine you could eat your dinner off,paid

i wouldnt say that about older bikes,ok some of them are a bit on the rough side but if you have a good look around there are some real good tidy bikes out there.ive just bought a 2000 txt280 and its perfect have had it for about 4 weeks and its in mint condition with an engine you could eat your dinner off,paid

I would stay away from bikes that old. Likely to be a long line of repairs that will detract from your enjoyment.

Utter Tosh,

I got my hands on a 2001 GG TXT as an intro to trials, OK the plastics are a bit tired, but apart from the usual knocks and scrapes the bike seems fine. I have had to replace wheel bearings, fork springs and chain, All of which I consider to be normal given the age and type of use the bike has had. Oh and the engine rattles a lot but apparently it has always done that.

I still manage to have a lot of fun riding the bike in trials so dont go knocking the older models.

I had a 2000 280 and rode it for years! Its the same bike as the 01 and up edition model. It is different than the 99 270 txt.

Rear shock has adjustemnt for both spring and compression dampening but you might just need some swing arm bearings and bushings. (maintaince stuff)

There are 6 springs in the clutch basket. I know a lot of guys who went to 4 springs for less pull. After a while it may slip in 4th gear or higher. I used to take out my steel plates and rub them on a concrete pad to scuff them up. Clutch is back to life. If not then plates would be needed. As far as seals the only one i would worry about is the water pump but that makes milky red in the oil. I used Dex Merc ATF in my case.

Good bike. I would not shy away. I beat the poo out of mine and it never caused me not to finish an event.

--Biff

Depends on your expendations,a bike of this age even as new will never be as good as a good recent one.Don't know your budget/mechanical or riding skills,but putting right a bike thats been let go too far is an expensive task.I had a 2000 280 when they were new and thought it was the dogs b.......ks,but rode one recently and it felt heavy,steered slow with harsh dead suspension.I would go for something newer and better condition,you'll enjoy this great sport more

well not eveyones loaded at the moment so buy cheep,repair a little and enjoy a lot!cant beleave people are slaggin off the older bikes on ear when i keep reading about the horror stories people are having with the newer bikes,end of the day you could spend