Beta Rev3 2005 Plug Fouling ?

m0agi

Hi All

I am a total newby to all this so please bear with me.

The problem I have is with my BEAT REV3 2005 125.

After about 1-1.5 Hours riding it fouls the plug.

The plug is covered in a black soot and is dry. I showed it to a friend of mine and he tells me by looking at the plug the bike is running "WAY TO RICH".

I am using an NGK-BP5ES Plug and as soon as you replace it the bike starts first kick.

I would be greatful of any hints or tips anyone may have regarding this problem.

If you could keep it simple as I said I am a total novice at this stuff.

Many Thanks

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I have a 2008 Rev3 125. It uses an NGK BP7ES, not the BP5ES you are using. Having said that the '5' is a hotter plug so should burn off more deposits and so be less prone to fouling.

I think your best bet would be to take the carburettor jetting back to standard, you should be able to get information on the correct jets either from your loacl dealer or from the Beta importer John Lampkin. They should also advise you on the correct plug. Then put in fresh fuel, drain out any old stuff if you need to; 15cc of good quality synthetic 2 stroke oil mixed with 5 litres of unleaded and then give her a run.

After this you are looking at a number of things such as leaks past the rings or leaking crank seals, but get her back to standard first before worrying about anything drastic.

Best of luck,

Neil

15cc of good quality synthetic 2 stroke oil mixed with 5 litres of unleaded

Eh ? I've had a hell of a day and my eyes are closing but that dont seem right?

You're right GJ

15cc per litre I should have said, so 75cc in a 5 litre can.

Apologies if anyone siezed their bike in the last hour or two, mind you it would cure that oiling problem!

You're right GJ

15cc per litre I should have said, so 75cc in a 5 litre can.

Apologies if anyone siezed their bike in the last hour or two, mind you it would cure that oiling problem!

Phew :blink: I thought for a minute there that the metric system had suffered from credit crunch ?

GJ :thumbup:

Gday, before pulling the carb apart check the air filter! Clean and oiled with all excess squeezed out in a clean rag. Fit the correct plug immediately. It sounds like someone has been chasing this issue before.

Cheers,

Stork.

Hi Neil and Stork

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I will do as you both suggest and let you know of my findings.

Regarding the air filter, I have a new one ready to install but I am not really sure quite how much oil to use on it, I use no toil filter oil.

Thanks again

Geoff

Gday, there needs to be just enough oil to cover the entire filter and no more - after application put the filter in a clean rag and give it a good squeeze. You dont want oil dripping out of it, just enough to leave your finger "damp" if you touch the filter. Hope that makes sense. If you still foul plugs afterwards its time to look in the carb - any issues here will most likely be either float level, wear in the needle and needle jet that it runs in or incorrect settings - needle circlip in the wrong position. The Idle mixture screw may contribute but minimally as it is really only effective at idle speed.

Cheers,

Stork