Rear Tyres

jojotut

Hi could anyone help me with a rear tyre selection? I have been offered a 4.10 x 18 for by back wheel, will this be too wide on a 198/199 as the stock ones are 4.00 x 18.

Anyone inform me what the best tyre and pressure to use just for local trails and a bit of fun.

Thanks

If it is a MITAS 4.10 competition trials tyre, it will be slightly (~10mm) wider than a normal competition trials tyre and may rub on the chain guard on an M198/199. It will also have a non-ideal aspect ratio ie it will not have as much depth as a normal competition tyre.

If it is a tubeless type (which the MITAS is), the bead may not stay on the seat when you let the pressure down for trials riding.

For more info about the tyre you have been offered you will need to say what tyre it is (and don't expect a sane answer if you say you are thinking of putting a 4.10 knobby rear tyre on it).

Any competition trials tyre that will fit your rim would be good for trail riding. The most likely ones to fit your bike are the Michelin tube type and the IRC tube type. The IRC is usually cheaper.

For info on pressures you will need to say what sort of fun riding you do.

Thanks for that its just the trye was new and off a modern bike ande most of all it was cheap!!. I think I will get an IRC as I am just back on trails after 20 years and have a forest/valley and quarry near by to mess in, when I stop falling off trying to do impossible climbs I will start looking for trails in the East Yorks area but there does not see to be many about.

Where is the best place to buy them?

Thanks again

I tried a Mitas 4.10 a while ago. The 4.10 is not a radial tire like the Mitas 4.00 or any other modern make, its a good old fashioned crossply. It appeared to be exactly the same size as a normal 4.00 trials tire but completely lacked grip on rocks. Not too bad on mud though. A secondhand Dunlop or Michelin would be far better all round.

If you really feel the need for a new cheap tire, the latest Vee Rubber tires are pretty good and reasonably cheap. I have fitted a front one to my bike and honestly cant tell any difference between it and the Michelin I took off. But it cost half as much.