Protecting Knees

Hi

I have found in the past that whilst they protect you very well, solid plastic knee pads can be quite cumbersome.

I now use a type that are made by Six Six One with the protection afforded by D3o, a new type of padding that moves like sponge under normal use but upon impact goes rigid.

The pads are meant for downhill mountain bikers but are fine for trials

I have removed the D3o from the pads and sewed it into the knee area of my Hebo pants and tried them at the weekend--- you cannot tell that you are wearing anything, it is that good!!

Hope this helps :P

We many times ride on some viscious rocks, very sharp granite and such. For the last few years I have used the youth versions of the Answer products Apex. They seem relatively small, yet still tuck in the top of the boot and extend the shin protection and have a cup for the kneecap area.

They do have the hard fronts, and the cap area stays off when knees bent, so i notice no restriction of movement. Inexpensive too!

I recall coming off a granite slab a bit off balance and difficult angle once, taking a hard knee dab. If it were not for these things I would have no knee cap, the plastic was deeply scored and even the sound shook me, but I walked away.

Speaking of footpegs interface, I have had the "teethy" ones like the Hebo's, come over the boots and grab a "hunk" of calf muscle. The effect is much like a big dog taking a bite out of your leg! Needless to say, I do not run pegs that are too sharp, yet rather have some flats on the ends or more well rounded. Thin twice about good bite! :P