Best Air Cooled Mono?

I'm thinking of going the aircooled mono route.

I'd like - 2 stroke, disc brakes at both ends, electronic ignition, not too exotic so that spares are available.

Which is best?

I've seen a Montesa 310 and a Fantic 305 for sale but don't know anything about either of them. Any info appreciated?

I've also seen a Honda TLM220R - this only has disc on front - do later ones have F & R discs.

My thinking is that I can ride the air cooled mono class at the "classic trials" and have a go at "modern trials" on the same bike.

Any info/advice greatly accepted.

My choice would be -

Well sorted TY250 Pinky (with 270 Mick Andrews tuning.)

or

Fantic 245 or 247 (upside down forks)

There were a couple of Brothers in our centre, (The Biltons) who imported some Honda 2 strokes - TLM260 ??? perhaps - Looked really trick. Think Takumi Narita works replica. Very tasty but pretty rare in these parts!

Max1965bikes - are you reading this - what were those Honda's? - did Bob have a similar one?

just a disc on the front, but i agree it would be hard to beat one for reliability and parts availability.and the drum rear works fine on them anyway,

I alwats loved the nice mint green monty 310 i think,Thats probablt what i would go for ,but not defanitly the best. :wacko:

Hi kimpy,

I wonder if you are in the Waikato or BOP area and want to ride the air cooled series?

I never liked the 310 Mont, the Fantic 305 was a good bike with useable power and ok suspension which you could easily use in modern trials in the clubman/Inters route. Best model is with the right way round forks, the upside down forks were a pain in the neck to work on. Spares are a problem here, ok in the UK but I think pistons are pretty rare. The Honda TLM 220 is a heavy bike, about 95kg, and also not so easy to get parts for - but, would be very reliable and pretty gutless by all accounts. I have a 220 in the workshop awaiting time to turn into something different, not sure what yet. Another good option is an air cooled 250 Gas Gas, great bike and lots of parts available in NZ. Has front and rear discs, mono shock and not too heavy at approx 84kg.

Bye, PeterB.

Hi Peter

I'm in Canterbury.

There's a Montesa 310 for sale (Trademe) on the West Coast and I was wondering wether to drive over and have a look. It's $2200 which I reckon is pricey.

I had a TLM200 and it went OK - but drum brakes.

There is a TY350 for sale with a disc front end fitted - but it's Auckland so the freight kills it for me.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks for your input.

hey

we had a man riding a tlm 260 r (hrc build bike not the 250) just until 2006 in modern trials, he was unbeatable on that bike but he changed for a 4rt last year

no more parts (he is a former honda dealer so hey should know where to get them) and those that where left were very expensive. he still has his bike and told me he wil never sell it.

regards bob

• 7 months later...

hi mate

I wouldent get a honda tlm220 if you dont want something to exotic becuse the parts are a bit hard to get and if you can get them they leave a hole in your pocket like on a well known auction site a set of original mudguards whent for 2500 pounds !!!!!!!!!. but realy its all the cosmetic stuff you need to worry about if you get a tlm becuse the engine is a solid a dimond, becuse they are one of the most reliable bikes you can get but the cosmetic parts are expensive as you can tell by the mudguard. Your best bet i think would be geting a yamaha ty250 mono becuse parts are easy to get there reliable as well and parts are fairly easy to get and arent to expensive.

hope this helps

I like the look of the 175 - there is a 200 as well. TTR based engine - less servicing and longer life than high performance 4 strokes.

I wonder what the classic chaps would make of one of these turning up for their "air cooled mono" class?

Personally i wouldnt have a problem but our club and the ACU rules does state Pre 95.

Best aircooled mono to me was the Beta TR34

Then again i would say that as i'm selling mine as i never use it. Too busy keeping the James and the Ossa running.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Personally i wouldnt have a problem but our club and the ACU rules does state Pre 95.

Pre 95? i never knew that......is that rule to stop the scorpa 125/175?.

How many aircooled monos were still being made after 95? I can't think of any.

Edited by Marky G

Pre 95? i never knew that......is that rule to stop the scorpa 125/175?.

How many aircooled monos were still being made after 95? I can't think of any.

Yeah basically to keep it "classic" and theoretically cheap. The decision was taken by the ACU and we followed that "classic" trials needed an entry level plus there were are loads of air cooled monos gathering dust.

Hasnt really taken off in the way they envisaged though.

We tend to get 4 at most on the expert route none on the 50/50 route and 1 on the clubman route. So could do with a few more really. The other problem is it was envisaged that it would bring new blood into the club however seems to have had the effect of riders who used to ride twinshock or Pre65 have turned up on an air cooled mono instead. Oh well :crying:

For what it's worth they dont seem to loose any less marks on average than the better pre65 or twinshock guys on the same route. See previous post in results and previews.

The other thing to remember is classic clubs run to no stop rules so the air cooled mono might have some of it's advantages negated by this?