Ssdt The Next 100 Years

overthehill

The SSDT organisers are constantly looking forward to the future of the event.

One factor that becomes more and more difficult is the management of the West End carpark.

This years bad weather highlighted some of the disadvantages with the venue as it must be one of the most exposed start areas in the trials world !

Another major problem is car parking and this has got to the point of detracting from the general competitor and

spectator experience.

The organisers of the SSDT are currently considering a move to the Lochaber Rural Complex - this location is within a few miles of Fort William (beside Nevis range ski centre) offering under-cover secure facilities for the parc-ferme and traders stalls, a caf

Edited by overthehill

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know that the town would lose that much these days. Granted everything is based round the West End Carpark, but it's not as if the THB is used every day, there are not the hundreds of people cramming into the middle of town as there used to be either. The hotel, bars and restaurants won't lose out either. I get a bit fed up year on year listening to the whinging element of locals who bemoan "the damned bikes back again"; they forget that that week in May was for many many years the town's biggest event and did and still bring a huge investment of money to Fort William.

Ultimately the trial itself need to decide what IT MUST DO to survive, if that means moving out to Aonach Mor then so be it. The future of the SSDT IS THE ONLY PRIORITY

Mark, Best to confirm exactly where you mean. My first thought was that you meant the newish complex on the left of the big wide road leading into the chairlift site, but the picture from photobucket is a different place, and one that I'm not familiar with.

The SSDT organisers are constantly looking forward to the future of the event.

One factor that becomes more and more difficult is the management of the West End carpark.

This years bad weather highlighted some of the disadvantages with the venue as it must be one of the most exposed start areas in the trials world !

Another major problem is car parking and this has got to the point of detracting from the general competitor and

spectator experience.

The organisers of the SSDT are currently considering a move to the Lochaber Rural Complex - this location is within a few miles of Fort William (beside Nevis range ski centre) offering under-cover secure facilities for the parc-ferme and traders stalls, a caf

Edited by Slapshot 3

Mark

Got to agree the West End is a nightmare.

The mountain bike world cup seems to do all right being out of town, would the parade still take place and town hall Brae and the finnish podium still be as is?

If so then I think it would work ok.

Mind you there would be one hell of a que at Leanachan monday morning

ps

Might not be so good for the trade stands though

My guess is that more than half the riders get a lift to the park ferme in any case so getting out of bed a bit earlier and travelling a bit further won't make a difference?

Spectators have either cars and/or ''Outside Assistance Vans'' to follow the trial so that isn't a problem?

I am sure the Factory Support areas and the Trade Stands would be better under a bit of shelter, Global warming may be coming, but I think the Highlands may be the last to benefit?

Just a few points I am sure there will be more?

If a move out of town is on the cards then suggest a shuttle bus or similar back into town for spectators and riders would be a good idea.

Its nice to be able to walk back to your digs when the support crew is stuck out out on the roads or waiting for the ferry home especially if the weather has been bad all day.

I think the finish and parade must stay in the center of town as I feel this has been a major improvement in recent years.

the location is just off the road up to the leanachan chairlift complex (the one in slapshots post) - it is a new cattlemarket which can have all of the pens stripped out leaving a massive inside space - the adjacent carpark is also very big.

if you put this into streetmap it gives the location NN161779

i have a photo if i can work out how to link it to this post :wacko:

Edited by overthehill

Some interesting points Mark but remember the mountain bike world cup is exactly that a world event televised by Sky television, being born and brought up in the Fort i remember the Parc Ferme moving for a couple of years to car park at the other end of the town which is now occupied by Morrisons. Even this short distance did the trial no favours, the west end carpark is a good focal point, the parade is there, close to shops and hotels and Bed and Breakfast for most. Nice flat ground for trade stands and vehicles, and believe me the rural complex will be hit by the weather just as bad if not worse. It is lacking facilities and too far out of town so you then lose all the young people coming to the Parc Feme as the West End is within walking distance for most. I think you may want to put 2009 down to just another wet Fort William week and pray for no rain next year. So as for moving to Aonach Mor i would think very carefully as it could be potentially a disastrous move alienating the people of the town who i tell you will not make the journey up there.

Edited by BETABILL

I've been thinking about this since you posted it Mark and can't make my mind up. I hate the west end car park layout and access to it. That's one of the main reasons we stay in the West End Hotel. Moving it would be very welcome but out of the town may be a step too far. It would work fine I've no doubt, but what would happen to the atmosphere?

The buzz that used to exist in the paddock has slowly been lost over the last 10 years and it would be great to do something to get some of it back but I do wonder if moving out of town altogether is like admitting it's not working and giving up instead.

No matter what the answer ends up being it wouldn't be the thing that stopped me coming over every year and I doubt it would change anyone else's plans. What I'm trying to say is that I don't thing it's a high risk idea and if it just didn't work you can always move back or elsewhere.

Thinking more about this issue and another thing to think about is growth. Has the trial outgrown the centre of town??

Thinking back....right back...the trials' overnight base used to be what's now the car park beside the Town Hall Brae (behind what was Marshall and Pearsons, the Gun Shop and the wee newsagents) and it moved because of the size of the trial was becoming. That was back in the 70's before the switch to the whole trial in the Fort, 77 the first in the town. It outgrew that place, it's maybe outgrowing the west end.

Now most spectators have to park at the other end of town to go into Parc Ferme, I would doubt every rider has the space to park in the west end, maybe when you include competitors and spectators the trial has outgrown it's home for the last 20 yerars or so.

Still go back to what I said.....the trial needs to do whatever it has to do to survive.

as a local to lochaber i think it could be a good move,although i think the parade in the high street and the trials show before hand are a big part of the scottish even with the parc ferme at the auction mart it could be still possible to parade all the riders etc in the high street. also with it being up at the mart there is space for a bike test area for all the dealers to show off bikes. has the club mentioned it to the lochaber council as does fortwilliam give anything back to the trial. also if there was really high winds with a high tide the car park will and has been under water. heres one local that thinks it is a good idea