Weird Running Problems

theshercorider

I am really stuck with my bike, now I have really had enough with it. The problem is that after at home getting the bike running fine from cleaning the carb and airbox etc after the first few laps of a trial or a few hours practising it starts to cough and splutter and generally not rev out right. I've tryed a lot of things but I need some suggestions. Someone said that it could be CDI unit/electrical box. Can you get these tested i.e. take it to a shop and have it tested. Could do with getting this sorted by wednesday so ideas quick please.

Also anybody know if you can get your rear shock reconditioned or know of anywhere where one is going cheap?

I so can't wait for the 010 bikes to come out and get rid of it.... Anybody found any more info?

EDIT: Just to add its not because of the problems sherco have with running in the we etc cause it does it in the dry too and I seal it up. Also I thought it was weird because it takes either a few hours or a few laps to happen so I thought it couldn't be anything to do with the tempreture+the fan I know works fine and the rad is brimmed up.

Edited by TheShercoRider

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What year is the bike, 08?

If your a gentle rider maybe you could have a blockage in the exhaust, carbon buildup... this will cause a slight bogging down.

Could be fuel? Drain the tank, empty the fuel from the float bowl on the carb, replace fuel hose and filter if using one and try again. With it being after a few hours your bike could be running low in the tank so not much weight from the fuel above forcing through.

Only other thing I can think of is weak spark, take your plug out, dry out the plug cap and shove a new plug in. Remove flywheel cover, spray a load of WD40 in there, kick the bike over a few times, dry excess WD out.

Edited by shercoman2k8

Hummmmm, does sort of have the ring on a Box/CDI unit. Ony way I know is to swap one out with another. All providing everything else is in good order. Do you have any local mates with a Sherco?

I think you may be able to use one off an earlier bike without the dual map, although I cannot confirm this. Difference being the map switch wire. One other thought, be sure the grounding (earth) wire is clean and tight on the box.

These type things can be a real pain in the rear, hope that helps.

Keep us posted, cheers, :wacko:

MC

It is an 08, what is there that I could do about the exhaust? I have made sure the front pipe is all cleaned out. As for the fuel I have changed the hose and cleaned the filters in the carb/tank and i always drain out the carb. I don't think it will be the problem of it being forced through as yesterday it started playing up after the first lap. The spark plug has been changed to one of the iridium spark plugs but didn't effect this problem. Might try that thing with the flywheel.

I do have someone who has one but it could be kind of tricky to get it done by wednesday seen as id need to go out to try it today. I have just had a run over all the wires to clean them up etc. Does anyone know if they can be tested?

Could it be the killswitch? I noticed that around the edge of the button the rubber seal had cracked so somehow could be effecting it?

Thanks for the help so far...

Next time it plays up , try taking off the petrol cap and see if that makes a difference . I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the overflow pipe being blocked and not letting air in when the tank was emptying and creating a vacuum in the tank thus causing all sorts of weird running issues !!!

Right today I did quite a few things, I did that with the flywheel, cleaned up and secured all the electrical connections, cleaned carb+filter+airbox, checked and cleaned the petrol cap, played around with the throttle cable, fiddled with all the carb settings, tried three different spark plugs and then went practising to find it was no better if not worse. So I really am stuck now for what to do. The two things I think it could be are the killswitch or the CDI unit. I am going to ring rathmells regarding the CDI and anbody know of any problems with these... http://www.trialendurodirect.com/products/...Switch_476.html as it is the one I have and the rubber seal around the button is cracked.

Please help me

try disconnecting the kill switch. Then just use rear brake to stall out the bike when you want to shut it down.

It will at least help decide if the switch is the problem, cheaper than replacing CDI.

Edited by ZIPPY

So can a bike be run if i just remove it?

Jes, it just will not stop easily! However, even if it had water trapped in it, not sure why it would have to run soo long before acting up! Disconnect it anyway, while the problem is active.

Today I had the killswitch off but no difference. Had the flywheel off and it and the stator was all mucky so I cleaned it all up but there was no difference. Tried someone elses CDI unit but no difference. So i got myself down to b+q and bought myself a heat gun. Got home and made myself a jet engine with the muff to clean all the gunk out. I'm leaving it to settle over night and it will be rebuilt tommorow. So i will post up woth how i get on.

Today I had the killswitch off but no difference. Had the flywheel off and it and the stator was all mucky so I cleaned it all up but there was no difference. Tried someone elses CDI unit but no difference. So i got myself down to b+q and bought myself a heat gun. Got home and made myself a jet engine with the muff to clean all the gunk out. I'm leaving it to settle over night and it will be rebuilt tommorow. So i will post up woth how i get on.

Just to try the stator next if the muff trick doesnt work, shouldn't be that bad on an 08 unless your a real gentle rider with a rich mix!

Ah well, just as well you did light off the muff, as if it did burn a lot there was lot of crap in it! Yet it is surely sounding more like the stator breaking down under heat.

I wish there was an easier way! :wacko:

I have the specs if you want to try and ohm things out, tells little I am afraid. The meters vary and the readings do too it seems. I am yet to try it using my expensive Fluke meter at work. Although I can tell you that many times things like this may show good untill put to use! A total failure is different, and may well show.

Today at the trial I got to the first section, walked round and was next in line in the que when it sort of burbled. Tried as best I could but I packed in and ended up observing. I think i am gonna get it taken to someone/shop who know more what to do as I am all out of ideas. Apart from someone said it could be the woodrut key?