Electric Fan Talk!

sam

Has anyone found some sort of after market fan for radiator on trials bikes, Maybe a fan off a computer or marine type, waterproof fan?

Stock ones are very expensive and I'm trying to help a friend on a budget.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't know about the computer fan? 'CRASH' springs to mind?

Why dont you try a motorcycle breakers or flea-bay and look for something off a small watercooled bike? Making it fit may prove a challenge but anything is achievable when cash is short !

GJ :thumbup:

Edited by gjbiker

Good Idea,

Some buddy on here I'm sure has knowledge of some sorta jimmy-rig for a fan!

Has anyone took one apart and cleaned em up/brushes with success?

sam

Edited by Sam

OK,

Just returned from flea-bay and seen several fans for sale for moto, has anyone used a fan from another brand of motorcycle, and if so which model?

They where all less than 30.00 dollars, that is a far cry from 3 hundred!

sam

Gday, the fan on my Techno is a generic Japanese one, I found a matching replacement off a 250 road bike of some description. It would be worth looking around a wreckers(breakers) too see if you can match it up.

Cheers,

Stork

I have a Gasgas TXT 50 that the fan quit working on, It had a sticker on it with the make and model number, and when I searched on the internet found that it was a just computer fan. (my TXT80 and Sherco2.9 do not look like they are computer fans). Was glad that the replacement fan for the 50 only cost me $10 us. Not sure how waterproof it is, but the first one failed because the wires broke loose where it attaches to the fan and there wasn't room to re-solder it back on and I ended up messing up the fan trying.

Hey,

We are still looking for a fan, its for a 290 Sherco 2001, Someone mentioned that KTM used the same fan motor on some of there bikes. I'm sure someone across the pond has a answer?

When I replaced the fan motor on my 01 sherco 290 a few years ago the motor I used was for a Honda VTR250 v-twin, had to remove the earth wire & change the connector to the sherco 1 but not a big job. Might have had to modify the mounts slightly by slotting them but not sure due to the how long ago it was. As far as I know it"s still going strong & as a bonus I've got a spare set of blades in my bag from it

Hope this helps

If it is the thermo that has gone, it is possible to take a jumper wire and connect the thermo wires together. Thus making the fan run constant. This is a quick fix, I did it to my 2000 2.9 left it that way for about half a season. Of course constantly running the fan will make it more prone to burning out the fan, but it would at least get the bike through the Rose City event this weekend...................of course if it is just the Thermo that is causing the problem.

Thanks for the tips guys, It is a dead fan.

I will check the Honda street bike price and I have a trials dealer helping me also with aftermarket possibilities.

See ya at Rose City Zippy!

sam

Well thanks Sam.... You jinxed me.

After saturdays very nasty ride in the rain and with my fan making a banshee leaving he// type of noise the thing finally let loose on Sunday. It might have been the alchohol but was probably just luck.

So sitting awake last night i decided that first ajenda at work this morning was to start getting this fan back on the up and up.

The company that made my fan was Comex. I went to their website to look up model F11-12c001-07s but alas they were not really forth comming on that. A simple google search also did not produce any results. Now i work with a large group of "car" guys and they think that i should go with a Power steering or Transmission cooling fan such as this. They are certainly ment for outdoor weather conditions but i cant find one small enough.

My space dimetions are 3.25 inches deap by 5 inches wide by 6 inches high. The fan blades themselves are about 4.75 inches.

0810090910.jpg

0810090913.jpg

0810090915.jpg

0810090916.jpg

Im off to search for a fan replacement now. I will keep this updated. Apparently Tryals shop has the cheapest fans out there. This sounds like my best alternative.

--Biff

Yeah sorry Sam and company!

Between work and Trials HD on xbox I have been running around like a headless chicken. <plug for the excuse.

I went to my trusty microcenter computer store outlet and bought 40 dollars worth of computer fans.

0810092008.jpg

My goal was to look at the cfm and amperage. Most of these were between 400 to 250 milliamps and looking at my old motor i am no where even close to that. I would guess that my fan is about 1 to 3 amps draw.

So I brought them back to the office and starting thinking about how to handle this.

downsized_0814091321.jpg

I fired them all up with a power inverter and they all seem to blow a lot of air.

I realized that most of these fans have a huge exposed motor assembly. Hmmmmm I am not sure if this is going to work. I might start with experimenting with sealing these some how and dipping them in water while running to see what the results are in amps. My concern is not just the fan pulling too much but shorting out the system upping the amps and taking out my rectifier or even worse stator.

0814091322.jpg

I currently have this trick led fan on there. I will get her fired up tonight and take a few videos of it running in the dark. :huh:

--Biff