Montesa 349 1980

jawno

hey guys... i have a montesa 349 1980/1 (not sure year it is) and i am currently having great difficulty getting it started again... the bike went really well at one stage, but one day it decided not to start and would love to get it going again... its always been a bit of a sh*t to start but when it starts, it goes really well and if its started properly it starts first few kicks... i have done most of what i know to possibly get the bike going again but all efforts have failed... there is a spark but its quite weak.. the spark does not jump the gap in the plug (NGK BP5eS)... i have a few ideas of what it might be 1) faulty wires, which is possibly the cause due to the age of the bike, 2) the coil 3) the magneto, but there is a spark, 4) wire touching some metal... any help would be great... also, i was wondering what the value of the bike might be??? i have searched the net and cant seem to find any true answers... the bike has approximately ( from last glance) 700 miles on the O.D...

JAWNO

hey guys... i have a montesa 349 1980/1 (not sure year it is) and i am currently having great difficulty getting it started again... the bike went really well at one stage, but one day it decided not to start and would love to get it going again... its always been a bit of a sh*t to start but when it starts, it goes really well and if its started properly it starts first few kicks... i have done most of what i know to possibly get the bike going again but all efforts have failed... there is a spark but its quite weak.. the spark does not jump the gap in the plug (NGK BP5eS)... i have a few ideas of what it might be 1) faulty wires, which is possibly the cause due to the age of the bike, 2) the coil 3) the magneto, but there is a spark, 4) wire touching some metal... any help would be great... also, i was wondering what the value of the bike might be??? i have searched the net and cant seem to find any true answers... the bike has approximately ( from last glance) 700 miles on the O.D...

JAWNO

What it is worth depends on the bikes condition and you haven't said much about that (except what the OD reads) or where you live.

About the starting problem, how does anyone alse know what you have tried if all you say is that you have done everything you know?

If the problem is poor spark, and the bike went well in the past, you should probably first check the condition/setting of the points.

ok i shall elaborate then...

i have, replaced the previous spark plug

removed the plug and exhaust to check for flooding etc, kicking over to remove any fuel in the sump...

looked at the magneto etc...

do i need to get a montesa condenser? or can an aftermarket one be fitted with the same results???

well the condition of the bike probably isnt ideal... i mean, it still has its original bits and pieces but things such as parts of the frame are rusted etc... the usual features of an old and loved bike... i live in sydney...

JAWNO

Step 1 is to work out if the problem is spark or fuel. Was the crankcase full of fuel?

When you looked at the magneto, did the points have the right gap? Were the mating surfaces clean? Was the timing set right?

Is the killswitch wire shorting to earth somewhere?

Yes you can use any condenser made for points/coil ignition if you are fitting it under the tank. If you want to fit it inside the magneto, you will need to get the right one.

Replacing the condenser will not clean up or reset dirty points. You need to start your problem solving at step 1 not step 15.

You will need to provide much more info about the bike if you want it valued. From your description and location I would say it would be somewhere between $5 and $500 from what I have read so far. Maybe it is worth more, but you are not getting your information across. Can you post a decent picture of it somewhere - maybe on www.trials.com.au ?

A common problem that causes hard starting (20 or 30 kicks) is the starter jet in the carb get plugged very very easily because it is soooo tiny. It'll plug just from gas drying up in it.

I'd take the carb apart and jet some carb cleaner through all the jets.

ok sweet... the coil is located under the tank so thats no problem... there is no kill switch on the bike, u have to stall to stop haha...i was thinking about taking it to a mechanic to get it sorted out... the last time the bike wasnt working was because there was fuel in the sump... my dad and i fixed it up, cleaned the carby etc so i dont think that will be the problem but ill do it again anyways... next time i go up to my property ill take a picture and post it up ;)... with the condenser/coil, does it have to a specific one? or can i put any 2 stroke one on???

• 6 years later...

anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1980 349 Cota?

Jawno try replacing the crankcase seals if its hard to start and runs well then won't start over a period is classic of worn seals letting too much air in and not sucking the fuel in.

Edited by kombivan