Fantic 240

poornebbing

hello there i have just bought a really tidy and original 240 from germany unfortunately as the engine warms up the top end develops a really loud knock and i dont know what the problem is can anyone help? also she wont return to tickover very quickly and tickover speeds up when hot??

• 2 weeks later...

hello there i have just bought a really tidy and original 240 from germany unfortunately as the engine warms up the top end develops a really loud knock and i dont know what the problem is can anyone help? also she wont return to tickover very quickly and tickover speeds up when hot??

Air leak causing a severe detonation(Pinging,Pinking) Can sound like a metal to metal knock when really bad,think big Diesel truck type noise.Best to do a pressure test.The Idle issues are a clue.If it passes a pressure test it's possible the ignition has gone wonky and timing is advancing.be careful 'cause it can go into runaway,I had a 440 Maico do that to me while it was loaded into the back of my pickup truck,yanked the plug wire,still screaming away,jammed it into gear,just started doing a burnout in the truck bed,didn't get it shutdown until I had shifted up into high gear and stood on the rear brake pedal...