Spark Plug

montesatrials

I have an 04 and this is what I've been told. The ultimate plug is supposedly the Bosch 4218 (part number). I think that's a 7 heat range. I run 100 octane unleaded, about 60:1, and still have my original BRE6ES. I sand blast it after every couple of outings.

What gas are you using. The 04 definitely needs a little better than the average pump fuel when it's pulling hard.

Jeff

I've heard people say that, but I've been doing it for 30 years now with no problems. I have noticed that blasted ones don't last as long as a new plug, but my jetting is pretty spot on and I toss them when they start to look worn.

Why is sandblasting bad? I agree it's not as good as a new plug, but as long as you clean it off before you put it back in, what's the problem?

I've heard people say that, but I've been doing it for 30 years now with no problems. I have noticed that blasted ones don't last as long as a new plug, but my jetting is pretty spot on and I toss them when they start to look worn.

Why is sandblasting bad? I agree it's not as good as a new plug, but as long as you clean it off before you put it back in, what's the problem?

I ran an NGK BPR6ES inmy monty for a long time, then switched to an NGK BR6ES as reccomended. It dint last as long and the bike ran realy poorly when it was cold and it loaded up easier. Went back to the BPR6ES, much nicer. Never tried other brands though.

My dads trick for cleaning plugs (hes a mechanic) is a wire wheel, then a bit of carb clean, then heat up the threads with a lighter, but not the electrodes. He says it works about as good as sandblasting with zero risk of getting grit in the motor. Plus a little carb cean will help start the bike!! :(

What's the difference between the BR6ES and BPR6ES.

Looked in the NGK book and it states the P is for a protruding electrode.

Does it make that much difference?

Would a BR6EIX Iridium plug or a BPR6EIX be better, with the protruding electrode.

Is an Iridium plug that much better?

Can anybody post a pic of a NGK plug with and without a 'protruding' electrode

Its not the P (Protruding) that's important its the R (Resistor) that required by the Mont ignition. I can't comment on the protruding electrode.

The BPR6EIX version is the plug to use, the Iridium centre electrode is very small and provides a high level of ignition and a low jump spark voltage. i.e. it is very bright and will spark in a lower voltage condition - kick over, low revs. I think it gives a better response from tick over as a result

At

I knew that a protruding electrode made a difference, but i didnt realize how much it would make. I guess my bike is just really finnicky. Probably because the jettijng is off. The theory ive always pracitced in my race cars is to get the plug electrodes as close to the piston as possible.