Sherco Fork Seals

monk

Instead of replacing the seal, try taking of the dust seal off and running something thin on the inside of the seal to get rid of anycrap that may have got trapped inside.

As for the amount of oil to be put in people will say it is 330ml in each leg but you can never get rid of it all, I don't have the specific measurements you should be using but will update when I have gone and found them.

I'm not so keen on that guide, it isnt necessary to dismantle the fork, slide your forks out the tripple clamp, slide off the dustcaps. Get a sharp screwdriver, into the seal, pick it out, slide it off... new ones in, seat them with a firm tap with something blunt all the way round, dust caps back over.

Tops off the forks, drain and refill with 300cc of 5wt suspension fluid.

Simples

• 1 year later...

Sorry to jump on the end of an old post, but i have a similar problem to the original post (and the same bike)

I'm favouring the Shercoman2k8 response rather than the Waynes Manual method. Does anyone else have any thoughts? Any recommendations on something to seat the new seals in? I'm wondering if a 40mm piece of plastic pipe might do it - i think the forks are 38mm so it should slide over.

my forks are now "bubbling" oil out of the top of the dust cap on compression so i'm guessing the seals are well past their sell by.

Many thanks :thumbup:

Caddabs

Do the whole job properly and put a set of socks on the bike at the same time.

You'll benefit from the lesson and you won't get any more trouble after that.... It's not rocket science, you'll work it out.

Best of balance.

Neo

Do the whole job properly and put a set of socks on the bike at the same time.

You'll benefit from the lesson and you won't get any more trouble after that.... It's not rocket science, you'll work it out.

Best of balance.

Neo

And them things may be overdue for a really good flush and cleaning to get crap out the bottoms!

I'm afraid i cant take any credit for it - took the "kick back and relax" option and took it to the garage - it was back in a week and smiles all round (apart from Mrs Caddabs if she ever sees the bill :unsure: )

You guys are absolutely right about getting to know the bike by doing it yourself, but it'd still be on the kitchen table by the summer if i had a go, and sometimes you have to know your limits. Also my "garage" is a very loose description for "blooming cold timber shed filled with kids stuff that you have to climb over to get to your bike" - not ideal :blush:

Dead right Caddabs your garage has to be setup for working on bikes to some degree ... otherwise it's just not gonna work. Sawdust an carbs definitely don't mix either :lol:

But it's not not so much "your limitations" it's just what to choose to focus on. My Garage use to have lots of wood and a car inside. But since getting into Trials both of those things would definitely be in the way :lol:

The other thing is why would I pay some one else to do what I want to do and learn MYSELF ..... To me it's just all part of being involved in Trials. :rolleyes:

Best of balance.

Neo

Ok - 2 hours of swearing later and ive done the complete Waynes world fork seal change. A few tips for anyone else who wants to try.

1 - cut the end off of a no more nails / or bathroom sealant tube - it makes a good seal basher.

2 - put the air cap back in the top after you have taken the springs out - it stops the forks exploding over the floor when you try and split them.

3 - make sure the internal copper coloured spacers sit as far down as they will go, (best leave them in) or you wont get the seal down far enough. dont hit them with a hammer - they are really soft.

4 - ignore the tape up the fork bit. the seal doesnt fit over the tape.

managed to get the whole leg assembled and realised i had a spare spacer. :wall: had to take the whole lot apart again and re-assemble.

took the other leg apart and realised the spacer i'd just put in the other leg and assembled for the 2nd time was upside down :wall: i'm afraid its going to have to live that way.

seals are in, good and tight and seem to be working. got a whole lot of black sludge out which wasnt nice.

only thing is, it now sounds like a plunger down a sink. do i need to bleed the air out? also i cant get one of the bottom drain plugs tight enough and its dripping. seems to keep turning but its not threaded ( i dont think) - may have to put a felt washer in.

happy days and thanks Wayne !! :thumbup: