Upgrade Carb For 199a

tightwoods

I plan on upgrading the stock 28 mm Bing T84 (the slide is badly worn and I'm told virtually impossible to replace) to a Mikuni 28 mm TM flat slide, VM 28, or VM 26 round slide. Does anyone have experience with any of these carbs on a 199A? Will the 26 mm work well or is it too small? I've been told that the smaller bore might boost low rpm performance. What jetting/needle combination works at 1500 - 2500 feet? Thanks!

tightwoods

I plan on upgrading the stock 28 mm Bing T84 (the slide is badly worn and I'm told virtually impossible to replace) to a Mikuni 28 mm TM flat slide, VM 28, or VM 26 round slide. Does anyone have experience with any of these carbs on a 199A? Will the 26 mm work well or is it too small? I've been told that the smaller bore might boost low rpm performance. What jetting/needle combination works at 1500 - 2500 feet? Thanks!

tightwoods

are you in the uk?

I've put a 28mm OKO on my 340 199b and it is straight out of the box, no jetting or needle changes were needed, just a small adjustment on the pilot screw. Runs fine. Doubt very much it is any different from how it would run with the original Bing in as new condition, but that wasn't the purpose of fitting it. Like yours, the Bing was worn out and I needed a replacement carb. The OKO cost

I've put a 28mm OKO on my 340 199b and it is straight out of the box, no jetting or needle changes were needed, just a small adjustment on the pilot screw. Runs fine. Doubt very much it is any different from how it would run with the original Bing in as new condition, but that wasn't the purpose of fitting it. Like yours, the Bing was worn out and I needed a replacement carb. The OKO cost

tightwoods

Don't use the TM flat slide, the VM 28 is your best choice, easy to tune and VERY common on many Jap bikes over the years, easy to get parts for, can't help you with jetting specs

• 2 weeks later...

Over here in Oz, the Mikuni importers tell me that 28mm VM round slide Mikunis are no longer made. Thats why the Keihn is popular, and also because they are a readily available item because of their use on Shercos

Unfortunately, the bike wreckers as a source of used quality 28mm Mikunis are a loss. It seems the the only 28mm carbies they have are either off multi engined bikes and/or small 2 stroke screamers. In either event, ALL are worn out and much un-loved