Ty80 Help

cobra

I bought a TY80 a week ago for the kids to learn on, everything was running fine until the other day when it ran out of petrol. Since then it has not fired up at all. I have checked the obvious things: the plugs sparking, fuel's getting to the carb although both jets were blocked, these have now been cleaned and carb seems to be working ok, have also checked air filter. Have been running the bike on a 50:1 mix as recommended by previous owner. Any other suggestions?

put some fuel in the cylinder. if that fires and dies, it is fuel short.

Will it start on full choke, then die if you take choke off? that usually means plugged pilot jet.

It can be 'temporarily' cleaned from the outside by blowing cleaner back through the pilot jet screw, but that just pushes the junk back into the bowl to come up later.

because you found 'blocked' jets, lets assume the crud is floating all over.

I would add an inline fuel filter for sure. Clean the tank if any rust is found. maybe Kreme coat the inside if rust is really bad. Throughly clean and blow out all passages in carb.

Should not matter that he ran out of fuel, unless he went onto reserve than it draws fuel from a lower point in the tank. Any tank dirct could have been drawn in. More likely, dirt in the refueling can. The fuel bowl has just a screen, I would add an actual filter media in line before the carb.

They are pretty durable and simple to work on, you can do it.

kcj