Weight That World Riders Usually Bench Press?

funtrials

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've obviously never seen me walk my bike through a section :rotfl:

Look, you've given me lots of advice, so I'll try to return the favor and give you a little advice from my many years of experience: try to keep your feet on the FOOT-PEGS while in the section and you won't have that problem. Also, it's LOWEST score that wins...kinda like golf. On my first event back after a long retirement I thought I was doing great as I was OUT-SCORING my competitors by a huge margin...then I realized something... :-)

Always lookin' to help.

Neither really, their all full of junk and high in sugar which will seriosly deplete you of vitamins and minerals in the long run. The book vitamin robbers by Mindell explains a lot about this topic.

A typical bar has;

Brown rice syrup: sugar from brown rice

Whole oats: Pretty good

Rice crisps: Plunge cold, cooked, white rice into boiling water and it puffs out like popcorn. Roast it and you have a crunchy, easy to digest product completely devoid of nutrition. Eat enough of it, and it will send your blood-glucose through the roof. Think of the popular breakfast cereal known as Rice Crispies. Same thing and its junk.

Sugar: Pretty simple

Salt: Table salt as well which increases hunger

Barley malt: Boil the barley until all the starches are converted into sugars. The process is known as malting. Breweries use malted barley to make beer. Power Bar is using it because it makes bland, puffed white rice taste better

Edited by Funtrials

I'd go for good quality water with a pinch of Celtic Sea Salt (82 trace minerals) and drink your body-weight in KG x 0.033 everyday (not just for a few days beforehand) and then include extra for the trial. Carb loading isn't really that effective, once the muscles/liver are full it just stores as fat.

Seriously, because of your previous posts on the subject, I've increased my every-day water consumption by about one glass of water per day (using the 0.033 number you gave in a previous post.) I've also increased my event-day water consumption from about 32 ounces per LOOP to about 38 ounces per loop. Thanks for the water advice...I think it helps a decent amount, as per last Sunday's trial.

Just THINK how much power you have....you're able to cause people who you've never actually met, who live half-way around the world (USA), to have to pee more often every single day. :-)

Not really sure what your actual goal is, if its strength and you cut your rest period short then your not using the right energy system. Let me know what effect your after and I'll give you an example program.

I'm after, say, about 60% endurance (I used to get winded, up until last Sunday at least...I've lost a ton of weight recently), and about 20% strength, and about 20% heart-health (heart-attacks and strokes are prevalent in my family.)

Good point about too short of rest period for strength, I'm hearing more and more about that being the case.

This is an easy way to increase your breathing capacity ( and think of the all the benefits of that).

Try a gumshield in your work out for 2 weeks. You need to get past the nausea of the 1st few sessions ( it will pass).

It's resistance training for your lungs; as they say in the forces 'train hard----fight easy'.

I've never heard of that technique. Sounds interesting. I might try that.

By the way, after some recent fiddling, I'm now of the opinion that THREE things (not two!) are needed for optimum trials fitness/results:

1. Getting at or near your "ideal" body-fat percentage.

2. Cardio training.

3. Weight-lifting.

I left out #1 and #3 for about 3 decades, and I paid the price for doing that.

I'm off to the gym to lift weights and lower my body fat percentage.

Edited by Funtrials

I didn't realize it, but one of the top ingredients in my high-carb Powerbar is Fructose (yep, sugar.) Maybe THAT'S why the ingredient list is in a tiny tiny font.

By your post I can tell that this isn't your "first time at the dance" when it comes to sports fitness topics.

So, uh, you're trying to also tell me that I should ditch my Twinkies as a high-nutrition all-natural pre-event snack? :-)

I do most of my (useful) studies in the US with some pretty switched on guys. I get very frustrated by the lack of decent nutrition education here in the UK. My teacher in the states is always mentioning twinkies though and looking disgusted although I've never actually seen them myself. I was thinking about my up and coming attempt at the scott. Last year I used bottled water with a pinch of sea salt. However this year I'm injured and am going to need everything I can to make it out the first field never mind the finish. I wouldn't dream of putting some of the junk thats out there in my body but I've decided to use coconut water either from fresh green coconuts or from HERE as a sports drink for the day. Very high in potassium so it may be useful for you?

I'm after, say, about 60% endurance (I used to get winded, up until last Sunday at least...I've lost a ton of weight recently), and about 20% strength, and about 20% heart-health (heart-attacks and strokes are prevalent in my family.)

Good point about too short of rest period for strength, I'm hearing more and more about that being the case.

<8 is for max strength

8-12 is body building

12-20 is strength and endurance zone

Rest periods in strength training should be between 2-8 mins (typically I use between 3-5). The higher the training intensity and the larger the individual the longer the rest period should be.

As an estimate I'd say work at 12-15 reps with an intensity of -1 (so you can't pick it up anymore than once) Use a tempo of 3-0-3 so your doing a max of 90 seconds with each set and you'll build really good endurance and get strength gains. This will also act as good cardio for you if you breath properly while exercising (you'll not get very far holding your breath for 90 seconds). Do exercises standing up (not seated or on machines) as it requires more neural input.

Above all don't cheat, if its getting easy and you could do 2 or 3 more check you haven't speeded up (I use a stop watch) and then increase the weight so you can only manage the right number at the right pace. I'd suggest 60 secs rest periods. You should be finished training within half an hour. Any longer and your either talking too much and getting extra rest or working too easy so you can continue longer. I aim to have my clients finished training within 40 minutes and eating by 60 minutes (quality meat/fruit/veg not twinkies though :rotfl: )

Well so much for my Twinkie diet. Dang.

Ok, based on this forum's advice I just went out and bought some quite healthy rolled oat food for "carbing-up" at a trial. It takes pretty decent, too. Lots of carbs...no fructose and no items that I can't even pronounce, unlike most processed foods. Powerbars are now no longer a part of my vocabulary.

I'm doing more reps while weight-lifting (for endurance), thanks to billycraig.

On my shopping-list spread-sheet I'm up to about 44% (roughly) of my diet being protein (I want to build muscle & lose more weight!), about 33% carbs, and about 23% of calories from good fats. 1.5 grams/gov't serving of saturated fats (or less!), and no trans fats. Lookout Toni and Adam! :D

Two foods that I hear alot about and am buying way more of, for muscle growth and weight-loss, are egg-whites (buy in liquid form) and oatmeal (as far as whole grains go, good amounts of protein - I'm cutting out Corn Flakes completely.) You guys might want to include those in your diet more? Egg-whites have more protein per calorie than just about any food in the world.

My food groups break-down roughly as follows:

Veggies: 23%

Whole grains/rice: 20%

Meat, poultry, fish, dry beans, eggs, and nuts: 20%...or more if I can't meet my high protein requirements.

Fruits: 18%

Oils: 13%

No-fat dairy/yogurt (calcium, etc.): 6%

Twinkies (is that a food group? :D ): 0% :rotfl:

Any advice on this would be appreciated. I'll probably make some adjustments on my spread-sheet based on your suggestions, folks (as you can see I've already done that alot.)

Edited by Funtrials

I aim to have my clients finished training within 40 minutes and eating by 60 minutes

Is the time you state for cardio AND weights or just weights?

I never train longer than 1 hour, I usually do 25 - 40 mins of Cardio (depending on how I feel) rest of the time (20 - 25 mins) doing weights.

Two foods that I hear alot about and am buying way more of, for muscle growth and weight-loss, are egg-whites (buy in liquid form) and oatmeal (as far as whole grains go, good amounts of protein - I'm cutting out Corn Flakes completely.) You guys might want to include those in your diet more? Egg-whites have more protein per calorie than just about any food in the world. The best protein is from good quality animal flesh, eggs are pretty good but I'd suggest you just had a whole egg rather than wasting cash buying egg whites. A whole egg has far more nutritional value and although the yolk is often mentioned as being bad its a healthy natural fat. Yes it does contain cholesterol but thats no bad thing (your body makes more than 10 eggs worth of cholesterol on its own each day anyway) as its cholesterol that is the building blocks of your hormones (DHEA, Testosterone etc) So without it you'll struggle to maintain good health. Sadly most of the research in mainstream with regards to cholesterol is way of the mark. Its just a marker that theirs inflammation within your arteries which needs repairing. Your body then sends out cholesterol to repair the situation so blaming it is akin to finding a hole in your wall and then blaming the plasterer whose come to fix it. Things that will cause inflammation include manmade fats, excess sugar, excess omega 6 (found it a lot of processed foods such as bread, pasta etc) Search google for 'cholesterol myth'.

My food groups break-down roughly as follows:

Veggies: 23%

Whole grains/rice: 20%

Meat, poultry, fish, dry beans, eggs, and nuts: 20%...or more if I can't meet my high protein requirements. Not really a great source.

Fruits: 18%

Oils: 13%

No-fat dairy/yogurt (calcium, etc.): 6% Avoid no fat dairy as the fat is important otherwise its just sugar (lactose) and try raw if you can find it

Twinkies (is that a food group? :D ): 0% :rotfl:

Is the time you state for cardio AND weights or just weights?

I never train longer than 1 hour, I usually do 25 - 40 mins of Cardio (depending on how I feel) rest of the time (20 - 25 mins) doing weights.

Just weights because I use that as cardio, if they could do cardio after it'd be only around 5 minutes to completely fatigue them. If the weights right then you'll be just about 'cooked' at the end of the program. I usually take credit card or direct debits because they end up that neurally fatigued they can't sign their own name well enough. I aim to get them that way to futher the whole neuro-muscular system. Think about all the stupid mistakes you've made when your brain starts sending messages more slowly.

I'd always do the important bit first, so if your an athlete working an your starts that would be far more important than your weights. I'd suggest that by doing your cardio first your ending up with a poor performance on your weight.

Why not, do a brief warm up, do your weights at the correct level i.e you use the correct weight for the reps you require so you can manage only one more rep. Take the proper rest period etc and then do your cardio at the end. This way you'll be fatigued (if you've honestly worked hard enough) so the cardio will be replicating the end of a trial when you get tired so you don't have to go so far....

If you can still do 40 mins of cardio try getting someone to check your program in case your being soft on yourself. The amount of clients I see who tell me they're working properly yet can manage an hours cardio. Once I change the program it tends to be a 10 minute walk to chill out.