08 Beta 4t Or 08 Sherco 320 4t

gazzaecowarrior

Hi there. Decided to give the four strokes a bit of a go. I think it would be a good choice considering the forthcoming welsh winter mud fests that seem to plague most events. Was just wondering whether the 08 Beta 4t is better than the 08 Sherco 320 4t. What are their strengths and weaknesses ? I've heard the Sherco clutch is a bit of an on/off situation. I know I have left out Montesa in this comparison but I simply can't afford a recent one.

For all round fun got to be the Sherco BUT it does go wrong quite a bit, is a sod to start & doesn't pick up cleanly off low revs. I do however love mine. The clutch is very smooth ( beta and older Monts are a bit on-off), suspension is lovely and it is quite flickable. Power is not as aggressive as people think but you do have to stay 'on-top' of it otherwise it can get away. However having said that my next bike will be an evo 4t.

The Beta is smoother and more reliable but I don't like the front end (tends to like to go straight on but you just need to adapt a bit) or the clutch. (not owned one but have ridden one)

Monts feel heavy (esp front end), clutch problem is sorted and later model camshaft changes ('07 I think) have smoothed the power out.Suspension is plush. Very reliable, great build quality.(owned one)

Can't go wrong with any of them really but all quite different beasts.

Regards

Jim

Edited by jimw

Thanks guys for all your advice. I really don't know which one to go for. i've owned Betas recently and have loved every minute of my Beta rev (except the stator problem) so i am very tempted to try the beta. I don't use a lot of power in sections and I think the sherco may be a bit of a brute. I will keep you posted. Any more advice will be greatfully recieved.

Gareth

Thanks guys for all your advice. I really don't know which one to go for. i've owned Betas recently and have loved every minute of my Beta rev (except the stator problem) so i am very tempted to try the beta. I don't use a lot of power in sections and I think the sherco may be a bit of a brute. I will keep you posted. Any more advice will be greatfully recieved.

Gareth

Comes down to your preference, but I can highly recommend the Beta. Had my '08 for 2 years now (since new) and love it. '10 model EVO 4T on the way. Just waiting for them to arrive in the States.

Gareth

Go for the Beta definatly, you will not regret it!

Bought a 08 rev 4. Pick it up saturday. Will keep you posted as to how it all goes. Very excited !!! Also have any of you guys had trouble with the kickstart rubbing the frame. The guy who I have bought it off said that he had to file down the kickstart to make it a good fit. This is despite it being a modified kickstart which beta supplied. Any other things i need to be carefull with ?

Gareth

Bought a 08 rev 4. Pick it up saturday. Will keep you posted as to how it all goes. Very excited !!! Also have any of you guys had trouble with the kickstart rubbing the frame. The guy who I have bought it off said that he had to file down the kickstart to make it a good fit. This is despite it being a modified kickstart which beta supplied. Any other things i need to be carefull with ?

Gareth

Nice one mate, Brilliant Decision!, most of the Beta kickstarts are quite flappy for some reason, nothing else though to be carefull with though, you will enjoy it, Trust me.

hey, i hope you enjoy your new bike,

i see most people are very negative over the sherco but i have one and i feel it is the only stock 4 stroke you can ride on a high level.

i rode a 4rt 2 years and when i got the sherco my riding improved a lot.

it is no bike for beginners but it is a lot better then a 4rt (oned one for 2 years) and i tried the 250 cc beta and didn't like the power of the bike it was to soft.

build quality of the mont is the best, a sherco demands more care and should be checked more, beta i can not say (never oned one).

ofcoarse it depends on your driving style and the type of events (muddy or grippy, big steps,...) but my next bike will be a sherco again ( or mayby beta 300 if i like them i will try them anyway)

regards bob

Monts feel heavy (esp front end), clutch problem is sorted and later model camshaft changes ('07 I think) have smoothed the power out.Suspension is plush. Very reliable, great build quality.(owned one)

Regards

Jim

I'd like to have gotten a Beta 4t but here in the states they are the rarest and most expensive of the lot. I recently bought an unused 06 4RT and the low end power is a bit much for me (I'm 52 years old and ride the 3rd of 5 classes). Can anyone confirm and/or give details of the above mentioned camshaft changes/ power smoothng? I'm having a hard time adapting to the hard hitting power.

Edited by motovita

I'd like to have gotten a Beta 4t but here in the states they are the rarest and most expensive of the lot. I recently bought an unused 06 4RT and the low end power is a bit much for me (I'm 52 years old and ride the 3rd of 5 classes). Can anyone confirm and/or give details of the above mentioned camshaft changes/ power smoothng? I'm having a hard time adapting to the hard hitting power.

Camshaft changes were only to make starting easier and prevent kickback. Ideas: Gear it down to 44 T. Put on a slow turn throttle tube. Put the exhaust restrictors back in. A PTB with a slow map.

Camshaft changes were only to make starting easier and prevent kickback. Ideas: Gear it down to 44 T. Put on a slow turn throttle tube. Put the exhaust restrictors back in. A PTB with a slow map.

I have the low gearing now. It made a world of difference for me. I have a slow turn throttle on and I have the restrictors in as well. The restrictors seem to soften the low end power a little, but they seem to compromise the high rpm power even more. Ideally I'd like the softest possible low end and all the top end I can get (let the wrist decide). Would a PTB and no restrictors make me happy?

Edited by motovita

I have the low gearing now. It made a world of difference for me. I have a slow turn throttle on and I have the restrictors in as well. The restrictors seem to soften the low end power a little, but they seem to compromise the high rpm power even more. Ideally I'd like the softest possible low end and all the top end I can get (let the wrist decide). Would a PTB and no restrictors make me happy?

Should at least allow you to change the maps to suit, within the range! Power and response is always an illusive thing, depending upon the demands and the moment. Everything is a tradeoff! Pick your poison or adjust towhat you got! :)

You may never be HAPPY! ;)

Edited by copemech