250f Suspension Set-up

thespikeyone

Hi folks

Can anyone tell me how to set up the rear suspension properly?

At the moment I have the spring wound as tight as it'll go and the damping set so I can (try) and hop and bop, but when I ride along a trail between sections the rear bottoms out and the exhaust rubs on the rear tyre.

any help would be great.

Spike

You need to set the spring up so the bike sags 1/3 of it's travel when you stand on it. NO MORE and NO LESS. Get someone to help check this. Note if you are heavy (90kg +) you will need a heavier spring otherwise you could blow through your travel

If the bike blows through its travel you should have the shock oil serviced. It sounds like your shock is ready for a rebuild.

Most rear shocks have a rebound damping adjuster - set this so it slows down the rear springing action. The bike should not bounce too easily.

Hopping the back is all about technique.... NOT by setting the rebound damping too soft. If you do this the bike will get LESS traction all the time. Then again, you maybe happy with this i suppose.

Edited by NZRalphy