Ossa

timbo

They look to be built close enough to the original to be legal in my opinion. It could be good for twin shock trials if new machines were both legal and available.

I also think the main attraction to twin shock events, is the type of section used, but machines and parts are getting hard to find, new replica's like those above should be welcomed, I think it would attract more riders than you think

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They aren't replicas though, they're modified originals - A Gripper with a MAR tank and engine and one hell of an exhaust and a Sherpa with light frame mods at the rear with a nice seat, tank and rear silencer. Not sure aboout the Gripper but the Sherpa looks stunning, the mods are only slight but they make such a difference.

The new Ossa twinshock is a replica of the original MAR but I've heard nothing about them since they were announced. I'd imagine they will end up with collectors if they are produced, not ridden. A new model with the Ossa name won't really be an Ossa I guess, just as the Sherco was never a Bultaco, but as an Ossa fan, I suppose it would be nice to see the name in the line up again.

What is the story on the bultaco ?

Not sure. I didn't feed the Todotrial article through Babelfish for fear of my brain exploding. It looks like a bike stylist has played tunes on the original and come up with that. There's a couple of guys that do this, one's a Pole and he takes old designs and puts a modern slant on them. Some of the results (like this one) leave you breathless.

Martin, that's a stunner. Whose is it?

Ish, good point.

*edit* Just fed Todotrial through Babelfish, a guy called Carlos Iso did the design. He paints a hypothetical scenario where Ossa and Bulto survived and has designed their offering after their bailouts.

Edited by TooFastTim

:guinness: So I take it my current bikes are gonna have to be the modern twinshocks for me ... But I agree with the statements above , That a well though out NEW aircooled , drumbraked , twinshocked bike would be a good seller ... As we all know it gets expensive adding modern technology to our old bikes where we can !

post-1232-1255778366.jpg

This seems a suitable point to expound a theory I have had for a while.

Couldn't new twinshocks be the answer to a lot of the problems we are seeking to solve in World rounds? Make the Worlds for twinshocks only (suitably defined to prevent someone coming up with a monoshock type set up with two suspension units).

Perhaps less "spectacular" sections but I'm sure the factories could come up with some superb modern machines that would still allow the best riders to be the winners but allow a lot more to participate. The trickle down effect to lower levels might also be beneficial.

Because we have not seen the current top riders on twinshocks we don't know if it would make much difference but you never know.

Edited by 2/4

Couldn't new twinshocks be the answer to a lot of the problems we are seeking to solve in World rounds? Make the Worlds for twinshocks only (suitably defined to prevent someone coming up with a monoshock type set up with two suspension units).

Perhaps less "spectacular" sections but I'm sure the factories could come up with some superb modern machines that would still allow the best riders to be the winners but allow a lot more to participate. The trickle down effect to lower levels might also be beneficial.

Because we have not seen the current top riders on twinshocks we don't know if it would make much difference but you never know.

HERETIC........

Careful 2/4 that kind of post will have you labelled as the anti - christ by some in here.. :guinness::rotfl:

never know?

Why would any factory bother making a twinshock machine? Even if the rules were changed (why) that would be 6/7 bikes per manufacturer at extra cost in the credit crunch.

Or are you saying the fim will "impose such a daft rule" on the ACU and they will "impose" it on us and everyone will have to crush every monoshock?

Ok lets say somehow it happened and we had two shocks on the rear. no linkage. In case you didn't know scorpa and up untill recently Beta had no linkage, so you bolt two of those( not to sure why you would need 2) on to the bikes and you have much the same thing, surely.

so how would that revitalise the wtc? How would it facilitate one single more person, and who would suddenly be encouraged to ride?

:guinness: So I take it my current bikes are gonna have to be the modern twinshocks for me ... But I agree with the statements above , That a well though out NEW aircooled , drumbraked , twinshocked bike would be a good seller ... As we all know it gets expensive adding modern technology to our old bikes where we can !

if it costs x pounds to make a modern bike and they sell 3000 units a year, how much will it cost to make 100 units without water cooling and drum brakes?

who would produce a bike with old technology on the off chance that there might be a demand?

This really is fairytale land.

here in england they have a "new" cotswold twinshock (cheat) bike with drum brakes and in the ten years that they have made them in various forms I think they may have sold a couple.

Edited by Nigel Dabster

Parked next to that Ossa yesterday at a trial, really not that nice in the flesh, and talking to a more informed person it would appear to be a bit of a bodge........his opinion not mine.. There were certainly better bikes from Spain mainly Bultacos they do like a bit of bling ...

On a lighter note nice to ride the same sections as Eddie lejuern and Charles Coutard they may be old but they can still ride, very very well.