Swm /trials Suspension Setup

virginiatrials

There seems to be almost no information out there concerning proper setup of twinshock trials bike suspension. With vintage motocross bikes ,suspensions(spring rates) are usually setup by rider weight and ability(speed). What is the best way to determine proper/optimal spring rates and damping on a vintage trials bike? I ride a 1980 SWM TL320 and weigh 235 lbs. . The bike has the original fork springs and works performance shocks put on by the previous owner(weak springs). Seeing as these bikes were designed and the suspensions setup for light riders like Schrieber and Burgat, the stock fork springs and shock springs certainly must be too light for heavy riders. Any thoughts or suggestions, Thanks , Jim B.,

There seems to be almost no information out there concerning proper setup of twinshock trials bike suspension. With vintage motocross bikes ,suspensions(spring rates) are usually setup by rider weight and ability(speed). What is the best way to determine proper/optimal spring rates and damping on a vintage trials bike? I ride a 1980 SWM TL320 and weigh 235 lbs. . The bike has the original fork springs and works performance shocks put on by the previous owner(weak springs). Seeing as these bikes were designed and the suspensions setup for light riders like Schrieber and Burgat, the stock fork springs and shock springs certainly must be too light for heavy riders. Any thoughts or suggestions, Thanks , Jim B.,

Which forks do you have fitted- Marzocchi or Betor?

The bike is fitted with Betor forks and Marzocchi Triple clamps(turns beautifully). I tried using a 1" spacer but the action was mediocre. I am doing a rebuild of the entire bike for next season and am trying to really set up the suspension right for my weight.Anyone have an opinion on dual rate versus single rate rear shock springs? Thanks ,Jim

Edited by Virginiatrials

Have a chat with Norman at NJB SHOCKS here in the UK

He knows his stuff as he used to work for GIRLING on the competition side

and set up Bernie Schreiber's shocks on his works SWM at the SSDT many years ago

at the time when GIRLING shocks were std fitment to SWM trials bikes. :chairfall:

Tell him your requirements etc

www.njbshocks.co.uk

norman@njbshocks.co.uk

Regarding the forks its more to do with personal preference how they are set up.

You may need new springs and oil for the Betors and nothing else.

ta