2003 Gas Gas Txt 280 Pro

cosmickites

ok, this may open up a can of worms or just show how ignorant i am to these bikes. awaiting the arrival of my bike but trying to get my act together so when it arrives i can get on it and ride.

i was told to ONLY use 380cc atf-f. then someone said 600 and the spec book says 400. totally confused.

also, i was told 94 octane gas is fine premixed 80:1 to 100:1 (depending what kind of riding i am doing). then i was told i have to use special 112 octane gas. Which is it?

thank you in advance for helping me sort this out.

want to do right to the bike and not F it up first day.

380ml to 400ml is fine on a PRO. When you drain it, lean it over on to the shifter side so the oil in the clutch compartment can get into the tranny and drain out completely. ATF-F, dex 3, or GM Autotrack II is common depending on how fast/grabby you like the clutch. If your 03 has the original clutch plates, I would expect some drag from plate swelling - the newer clutch plate materials are more stable. A 06 or newer clutch spring (failrly cheap) will make your clutch much lighter pull as well and a worthwhile upgrade IMO. The Pro crank bearings are lubed via the tranny fluid, so make sure you change it often to keep it clean- especially if you ride alot of sloppy wet events. Plenty of riders run a 100:1 premix ratio w/o any issues. Many still stay with 80:1 for peace of mind. Just make sure you use a good synthetic oil. As far a Octane goes, you need enough Octane so it doesnt detonate or ping. In some countries, they can get 98oct pump and works fine. Add race gas to pump gas until you are good 25/75 race/pump works for me, many use 50/50. Or, go with straight race gas if you prefer. Try playng around with the ratio's and see what you think. I personally dont like the strong smell of straight race gas, its more $$ and I didnt notice any benefit. Many of my friends swear by it. Go Figure.

380ml to 400ml is fine on a PRO. When you drain it, lean it over on to the shifter side so the oil in the clutch compartment can get into the tranny and drain out completely.

Another good tip is to pull the clutch lever in and hold it with a cable tie to the bars, this seperates the clutch plates and allows the dirty oil to run out from between them. I usually do this and let it drain overnight if possible.

You have the right screen name for "filling" tips...

Another tip for clean oil changes - whenever you happen to have the clutch case off, make sure you remove the spring and wipe it out. The underneath, cupped side of the spring acts like a big catch basin of any aluminum particals/plate material. (dont forget to lay the bike on its side whenever replacing the case.)

Edited by laser1

Guest stixnstonesbrokemybones

Hoping not to add any confusion, but my Gas Gas manual for my 09 states 50:1, which was also the advise given by the boys at BVM. I do get a little wet fouling, but as I clean the plug after every ride, it doesn't cause any problems. Incidently, I had a 270 TXT which I ran at 80:1 - again with no issues. I just prefer the logic of a bit more oil to keep things moving.

I wonder how critical the mix really is - perhaps more so to experts.

:chairfall:

We have 2 280s at our house, an 04 and an 05. Always use premium pump gas in both (92 octane), never had a fuel related issue (not related to octane at least). I don't see a need for race gas unless I hear pinging which I never have. As for the tranny fluid I use GM AutoTrak II (#12378508) and it seems to work very well. I fill it (bike level) till it's half way up the window. No idea how much that is by volume but I know it has the correct amount, I figure that's what the window is there for. Pays to fill it and take a short ride and check it again after it cools off. Been through 5 Pro models (6th on the way) from an 02 to an 07 and 200 to 300 and this has always worked.

wow, you all have been so helpful. i am still a littel confused but i think i will go with pump gas (highest octane avail, 97) and go 80:1 and get ATF-F tran fluid. Will start with 380 cc.

bike arrives on tuesday. i am so stoked i can barely sleep. i hope its all i expect it to be and more. really looking to use it for TRAILS riding as that is what my crew does. however, the trails have some nice technical sectoins that should be a blast with this bike.

any other good info for a total newb to trials bikes?

thanks

wow, you all have been so helpful. i am still a littel confused but i think i will go with pump gas (highest octane avail, 97) and go 80:1 and get ATF-F tran fluid. Will start with 380 cc.

bike arrives on tuesday. i am so stoked i can barely sleep. i hope its all i expect it to be and more. really looking to use it for TRAILS riding as that is what my crew does. however, the trails have some nice technical sectoins that should be a blast with this bike.

any other good info for a total newb to trials bikes?

thanks

http://www.trialspartsusa.com/tech.html is a good source for downloads and I think you can download an owner's manual that will give you good info. As it's a used bike, it's safe, and best, to assume the previous owner has not done any maintenance, so you'll want to start from the front and move through the bike to the back. Check all fasteners, inspect and lube any bearing found, replace all fluids and generally check for any worn parts that will need replacing soon. An hour invested at this will save you many hours in the future.

97 octane should be fine, as well as 80:1 premix ratio.

Jon

The problem with the GG manual is that it says to use 550ml of tranny fluid....Later in the manual it tells you to fill by the sight glass indicator. Hence all the questions regarding this matter.

Yea, I've found that a curiosity too. I have an 02' 280 with the Magnesium engine and sidecover and it takes 350cc's. The redesigned 03' on up sidecover takes a little more, but generally in the 400/450 range. I would think that 550cc's would result in a lot puking out the trans vent. I usually recommend 400 and change often. I like to use a level that just tops the window on the sidecover (you can see a small bubble at the top of the window) and have real good luck with the GM fluid.

"i was told to ONLY use 380cc atf-f. then someone said 600 and the spec book says 400. totally confused." The "600" is for the "Edition" (early) engine and is actually a little low as 650/700cc's seems to be a better volume.

ATF works well in Trials transmissions as it's design parameters are right in line with a Trals transmission. In the testing we've done, Dexron or GM AuroTrac transfercase fluid works well in the 02-05 Pros and Type-F ATF, with a little better heat tolerance works well in the newer engines with the thinner clutch spring. You could actually run any of those fluids in the transmission depending on the clutch action you want. The key is to change the trans fluid often to keep it fresh.

Jon

I have an 07 and have been using ATF type F. I want to slow the clutch action down. Will changing to a thicker oil help? I have 3 different kinds of car motor oil I want to try out: 30w, 5w-30, and 10w-40. Will any of these slow the clutch action (slower, smoother engagement) ? thanks