Flytwheel / Rotor Strap Wrench

malcra

Up to now, I've got away with using a Beta (orange, as in tool company) filter strap wrench to hold flywheels in place but in attempting to remove my flywheel from my Transalp on the weekend (not been off for 22 years), I broke it. I eventually achieved the desired result of removing the flywheel bolt with the use of a 1p coin.

However, I've seen proper, heavy duty, metal band flywheel strap wrenches (i remember my old REV3 flywheel being jammed on with one), however can't find them for sale in the UK ? Anyone ?

Up to now, I've got away with using a Beta (orange, as in tool company) filter strap wrench to hold flywheels in place but in attempting to remove my flywheel from my Transalp on the weekend (not been off for 22 years), I broke it. I eventually achieved the desired result of removing the flywheel bolt with the use of a 1p coin.

However, I've seen proper, heavy duty, metal band flywheel strap wrenches (i remember my old REV3 flywheel being jammed on with one), however can't find them for sale in the UK ? Anyone ?

worth a look

http://www.trialsbits.co.uk/product_info.p...roducts_id=1150

or machine mart ?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/categori...ve-tools/page/5

Sealey have just started advertising a universal motorcycle flywheel holder in the flyers they put around workshops, looks similar to the genuine Honda one for small mxers, think it was about

I've order the (cheap) tool as per bo_drinkers recommendation, as should do the job on the trials bikes (and only 4.99)

Interesting that Sealey now do the tool, as I've also just ordered a flywheel puller set from them, which does some of the odd sizes (22/1.5) i currently use.

thanks for the help

Hi Feetupfun

Regarding the holes in the flywheels, I have 4 old Cotas, a 348 and the others are 247's and none of them have any holes in the flywheels. The only opening in any of them is where the points are adjusted. Luckily, I have found that I can use a large wrench from an angle grinder with the two lugs (the one that secures the blade) and by resting one of the lugs into the slot of the flywheel and the other lug on the outside of the flywheel and the handle resting on the kick starter shaft, I can undo and do up the nut to the required tension. It is also used for holding the flywheel while I use the puller. If that kick starter shaft wasn't there I would be stuffed as I have tried various other methods like taking the clutch cover off and jamming a rag between the primary gear and the clutch to stop things moving. Another method I read about on this site was to put rope down the plug hole but that one did not appeal to me!

Hi Feetupfun

The wrench I have described can be used can be used to either undo the nut or do it up. To do the nut up you place one of the lugs on the flywheel opening and the other on the outside of flywheel. The handle rests ON TOP of the kick starter shaft to stop the flywheel turning anti clockwise. To undo the nut you use exactly the same procedure except the handle rests UNDER the shaft so that it stops the flywheel turning clockwise. If you didn't need an astronaut license to post photos on this forum I would place them here. If you give me your email address I can send the photos off to you. You can post them here if you like and have more patience than me Regards Manuel

PS I know it works for Montesas but not sure about other bikes as it is all dependent on the position of the kick starter shaft.

Thanks Manuel. I don't need photos because your description is perfect. I went out to the shed and pulled a 348 cover off and found that the 348 flywheel slot is long enough for my two-pin tool to work fine similar to having two holes. Mystery solved.

David