Is There / Will There Be A 2010 Mont?

beatabeta

As per title really.

Was riding on Sunday when I realised that I haven't seen or heard anything about a new 'use the word new loosely' Mont for 2010.

Is there one? Have I missed some huge news? Or are they just late releasing it? Shouldn't be the latter, how can you be late when all need to do is decide 'what colour to paint a 5 year old bike' :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well have you been on the dark side of the moon recently?

I'll bring you up to speed then shall I?

All that follows comes under the caveat "So, I am led to believe!"...

At present there is no official Montesa importer in the UK. Sandifords still carry a stock of parts for the 4RT but are now concentrating on Gas Gas and Husqvarna, have a look at their website for more information.

There has been no announcement about the 4RT as a continuing model and if reports are to be believed, there is a stock of some many hundreds of 4RT Montesa at the Spanish factory unsold at this moment in time.

According to many Spanish websites, it would appear that the future of the Montesa factory is in doubt and there have been demonstrations by Montesa employees in Spain in the last week or so.

Hope this answers your question?

Big John

Edited by Big John

Toni Bou, Takahisa Fujinami and Laia Sanz of the Montesa Team are set to continue with Montesa for 2010. HRC, Repsol and all other sponsors are on board for 2010. The team has just purchased a new transporter.

President of Honda Montesa Sr Eduardo Bigas has confirmed that production of the Cota 4RT will continue at the Honda Montesa facility in Spain, presumably when the overstock of 2009 models are sold.

Protests at the Honda Montesa factory centered on the fact that the production of Honda road bikes at the Honda Montesa Factory in Spain had been moved to the Honda Factory in Italy and that 180 Spanish workers were laid off (made redundant) in Spain. The Spanish wanted the reverse to happen.

Toni Bou, Takahisa Fujinami and Laia Sanz of the Montesa Team are set to continue with Montesa for 2010. HRC, Repsol and all other sponsors are on board for 2010. The team has just purchased a new transporter.

President of Honda Montesa Sr Eduardo Bigas has confirmed that production of the Cota 4RT will continue at the Honda Montesa facility in Spain, presumably when the overstock of 2009 models are sold.

Protests at the Honda Montesa factory centered on the fact that the production of Honda road bikes at the Honda Montesa Factory in Spain had been moved to the Honda Factory in Italy and that 180 Spanish workers were laid off (made redundant) in Spain. The Spanish wanted the reverse to happen.

Yea, well Martin, question is how are they gonna sell any old bikes if there is no importer into the UK or US for that matter? All this seems to make no common sense!

Maybe the factory will sit upon them this time, till it HURTS! And then decide to distribute and sell them at a competitive rate! Just nuts!

I love you like a brother Martin, but it just kills me to see what they have done!

Yea, they buy all the top riders, put them on a Special, Win championships! And cannot get a decent bike to folk at a decent price without screwing the importers and everyone to go with them! Such a pity!

And so the attitude goes, if/when we sell the old ones off, maybe we will build some new ones and change the colours?

Obviously there is a problem here, they can take their Championships and go pound sand, see what that gets them!

Nothing here for me.

OK, cheers for the updates.

Knew about the Sandifords thing.

So (guessing here)

Based on the fact that there is no 2010 models yet, would this mean that possibly as and when there is one that Montesa have actually changed something on the bike (FINALLY!!)??

If not, why would they not just do what they normally do (put new stickers, plastics etc) on the 2009 bikes and sell the existing bits that are on the 2009 bikes: mudguards etc etc as spares?

the 09 was facelifted ,with many updates

Correct, you can't judge the 09 by the older models. It's a different bike, more agile and easier to ride.

My old 06 repsol had 280 kit, mitani titanium exhaust system, modified linkage plates, and changed gearing. After all these changes it felt really good to ride. Until I tested a standard 09, after that I didn't my want my old bike anymore, the 09 so much more comfortable to ride.

My new 10 (09 registered as a 10) is as original as can be. The only changes I have done is to increase spring pre-tension half a turn at the front and one turn at the rear. Rear damping set to 4-5 clicks in (depending on conditions). That it!

I just wish Montesa had released the 09 back in 05.

So hurry up and buy one in case they would disappear :)

There are 2 things going on here, Racing and Commercial. Clearly the Racing side of things works to perfection, but the commercial side needs re-working. There needs to be new people put in charge of Brand Management. The people in charge are clearly failing at their job.

As everyone knows I am a die hard Montesa man, I hate to see the way things are being run on the Commercial side of things and I hope that they get it sorted out.

Edited by Martin Belair

As you will have gathered my Montesa knowledge is limited to say the very least.

Rode 2 and hated them, dont like 4 strokes and think the price, styling and ride on the Montesa is horrendous.

Anyway the main gist of what I said still stands -

1: why cant Montesa just change the god awful colours of the 09 model and call it a 2010 model??? from what you say the 09 is a great bike so they could easily just colour update.

2: that Honda RTL looks GOREGOUS why cant the Montesa look that nice - ever??

3: Totally agree with Martin - the works bikes are obviously the absolute nuts, but none of this tech seems (and bear in mind that as above my Mont knowledge is limited) to get anywhere near the heavy, tall and awkward production bike - yet still Montesa charge

As you will have gathered my Montesa knowledge is limited to say the very least.

Rode 2 and hated them, dont like 4 strokes and think the price, styling and ride on the Montesa is horrendous.

Anyway the main gist of what I said still stands -

2: that Honda RTL looks GOREGOUS why cant the Montesa look that nice -

4: 2 Monts Big John, gonna be