What Helments Are Folks Using For Trials

sdm

We all have our opinions and you can wear whatever helmet you like (even a pink scooter helmet) BUT when it comes to recomending safety equipment I always tell folks to buy the best.

I can remember when there were no trials helmets available and people wore hockey or basesball helmets and thought they were good! So I am glad to support a company that makes a helmet designed and tested for Trials.

For my street bike rides I just bought a new Shoei helmet and paid over $700.00, my safety is well worth.

Shoei TR3 for me.

Axulsuv......Were you addressing my post? I couldn't disagree with you more if you were! Price has little to do with the quality of a helmet.

I was replying to the whole subject ... And when I started riding trials in the dark ages , A bell stroker cap was the norm for head gear , no helmets required ... Which as a youngster at the time struck me as odd , we had to wear helmets in enduros back then and went just as quick on the loop between sections as we did in enduros ...

And I will always wear a helmet when on ANY motorcycle , And stand by my statement that you get what you pay for ... Been there , Done that ,

got the scares to prove it ...

And you are right , proper trials helmets are expensive , But a whole lot cheaper than being a vegetable or worse ... !!!

Glenn

T-shock,

Don't really plan to use it. I wanted to see if you could modify a helmet and didn't want to ruin a good ,new one. I put vent holes in and worked on moving the visor and chin guard. If I end up liking the way it works I will buy a good helmet and modify it.

I was surprised at how sturdy this helmet is. It's quite light but the plastic (or whatever it's made of) is a good 1/8" thick. I have banged around on it with several tools and you aren't going to break it very easily. Don't know how much good the chin guard would do, but maybe anything is better than nothing.

I haven't seen a model on the market today that has an adjustable chin guard.

Alan

Nigel,

Why do you say that? Since my face plant this past season I really have been thinking about going to a full face helmet.

Alan

Hundreds nay thousands of riders manage everyweek in the UK with open face helmets, its the normal thing to do and I can never recall a face plant except at a WTC event.

I think risk has to be balanced with whats the actuality riding the sections that 99% of us ride?

I think I almost got enough chrimbo money left to try one of these!

Look good, and the price is right off fleabay at less than $100 with the post from the UK.

Rateg a bit heavier than my NZI, but? :wacko: If it is too hot and too heavy, I will drill a few holes in it! :rolleyes:

post-36-1261801419.jpg

Edited by copemech

• 11 months later...

Hi guys, Alank here, sorry for jumping in unanounced, tried introduction but failed, anyway i have stopped riding trials because of an injury i recieved wearing a NZI trials helmet. I went over the bars of the bike and the visor levered the helmet off my head whilst still buckled up, the visor did not detach from helmet and been so sharp it cut around my right eye which i recieved thirty two stiches and the shell then broke my eye socket and i got two plates to repair that, sorry to be so graffic but this is why i dont ride trials anymore and would definatly not choose an NZI helmet. :angry:

Hi guys, Alank here, sorry for jumping in unanounced, tried introduction but failed, anyway i have stopped riding trials because of an injury i recieved wearing a NZI trials helmet. I went over the bars of the bike and the visor levered the helmet off my head whilst still buckled up, the visor did not detach from helmet and been so sharp it cut around my right eye which i recieved thirty two stiches and the shell then broke my eye socket and i got two plates to repair that, sorry to be so graffic but this is why i dont ride trials anymore and would definatly not choose an NZI helmet. :angry:

Ouch !