Sherco 50 Rear Brake

madman

hi all im new on here having just got my lad a sherco 50. ive read through a lot of old posts and was wondering if anyone has converted one of these bikes to have a foot brake instead of using the handlebar brake (clutch hand) as id like to convert mine so he doesnt get dependant on using his clutch hand to brake thanks guys

Yes, I have done it.

On my sons (Dean's) I ran both a hand and foot brake connected to the rear. I felt it was important with the centrifugal clutch to have access to both. However, several folks are running the rear brake pedals I made without the hand lever.

I am actually about to do a batch of these up. I owe one to our Youth Director, and have been asked by a person or two about making one up for them, so I probably will in the next week or two. (for those that know me, that is a somewhat vauge unit of measure.)

I am also not proud, if you wanted to copy one of mine, I can send more pictures etc.

The next generation probably should have a folding pedal, but at some point, the fixed pedal works ok. I think I have seen 3 of them folded around.

There are about 10 of these I believe out in circulation at this point.

I will be selling the next batch at $75 each, or some form of trade for you UK guys if interested. The production ones will be powder coated your choice of color.

I will also make available some of the other odds and ends that I have or make if folks are interested.

Hmmmmm, Andy, I am starting to sound like an advertisement here. Do I owe you something or should I place this somewhere else?

Anyway, contact me if interested, or if I can help answer any Sherco 50 questions or Ryan is readilly available on his site. www.rypusa.com/forums

Hope your child enjoys his (or her) machine as much as mine did his.

post-11-1103494227.jpg

Upon review, Yes Andy, those Marigold guys are still hunting for me!!!!

The pictured one is the prototype. The finished ones now are slightly different and have a better fit and finish. they also do not use the top screw shown in the picture.

Here is one of my favorite pictures of Dean on his 50. This section was used last year as an Advanced line at a trials. He was 6 or 7 in this picture. This is also posted for the folks that say these small bikes are only "field" bikes. They can do some really neat things on these little things.

post-11-1103495664.jpg

There is a little tab that it bolts too on the frame.

I double and cap it and use a shouldered bolt as a pivot.

You have to drill one 3/8" (10mm I think) hole in the frame for the assembly to mount.

On Dean's I would also modify the rear brake backing plate to accept both cables.

post-11-1103657197.jpg

great pictures thanks

i will look at the bike more over the xmas holidays i am picking it up from the shop tomorrow

my other son has the beta minicross which i picked up secondhand at a real good price this has the rear brake as factory so i will look at the chances of using the beta setup on the sherco if it looks like a non starter i will have a go at making somthing like yours which looks real good

seems like ive fallen over a great site here

keep up the good work guys :wall:

I started thinking I would take either the KTM or the POLINI one and modify it. But at some point I was going, cut here, weld here, bend here, move this and it still looked cobbled. I just said crud, this is what I want it too fit and look like and started from a blank piece.

Here are the pieces laid out.

post-11-1103665987.jpg

I started thinking I would take either the KTM or the POLINI one and modify it.  But at some point I was going, cut here, weld here, bend here, move this and it still looked cobbled.  I just said crud, this is what I want it too fit and look like and started from a blank piece.

Very nice job Alan! How did you worked that aluminium? Looks like no cnc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm. I didn't know there was a problem there.

I need to pay for the site and drop all the adds.

Still playing with the logo. I need to start a seperate

trials page for some products I've been working on.

No pop ups with Mozilla. You using Explorer?

Edited by Brian R