The Beta Clutch Fix

dan williams

No issues with oil 8hrs after oil change. No issues with adjustment - I checked. Mind you i was giving the bike some welly, so i am not surprised it was slipping.

Yip as i thought.....it is much better with the 6 springs. Today it had no slip and a positive feel for when it bites or releases.

• 3 months later...

i am currently tackeling this mod as we speak - just popped in for a cuppa

i cant believe the amount of glue on the plates , its shocking i had a plate with the friction fibers hardly visable on one half

looks loads better now its clean

im a bit afraid of the flatting down on the tabs ,but then if u dont try you will never know??

ill just take it easy and use a file instead of the dremel

cheers for the info - its obviously helping lots of us out!! :wall:

Edited by Corty

• 1 month later...

Hi all, just to let you all know i'm very new to all this trials stuff but i must admit i've done all the mods as listed about the Beta REV3 clutch and found major advantages however, even to a newbie.....To get the best i used the exspensive elf oil as well.......great improvement.

Down side, on tickover the clutch can be louder but this is nothing to worry about!!!!!!

bottom line, when you next change the oil i'd do the lot in one go.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

Just got my 2006 Beta 250cc Rev 3 this week and had my first little play about with it this afternoon and until it got very well warmed up, as soon as you put it in to gear with the clutch pulled right in, it just lurched forward and you couldnt keep it still with the clutch lever pulled right in. So I have been on here searching about it as I am totally new to trials bikes and never had anything like this with my road bikes, and I see that this sort of clutch issue is a common occurance. Found this thread though and read through the instructions and it sounds easy enough to do and is very well explained. Going to give it a try in the next couple of weeks and see what happens (going to go give the bike a proper ride though this week before I start the lengthy process).

Just got my 2006 Beta 250cc Rev 3 this week and had my first little play about with it this afternoon and until it got very well warmed up, as soon as you put it in to gear with the clutch pulled right in, it just lurched forward and you couldnt keep it still with the clutch lever pulled right in. So I have been on here searching about it as I am totally new to trials bikes and never had anything like this with my road bikes, and I see that this sort of clutch issue is a common occurance. Found this thread though and read through the instructions and it sounds easy enough to do and is very well explained. Going to give it a try in the next couple of weeks and see what happens (going to go give the bike a proper ride though this week before I start the lengthy process).

Maybe make sure your clutch is properly bleed and the oil is fresh.(I can feel it after dozen or so rides the oil starts to "go off". dx 3 atf works well and is cheap.

Spent all day doing this and the intial results seem to be superb. Didn't have time to do a full test on it before I had to go out on the road bike for "bike night" but will do that tomorrow. The plates were FULL of glue. There was only the odd part that had any silver metal bits showing through between the tabs, the rest were just covered in black glue between all the tabs. They definately all seemed a lot worse that the examples in the instructions document. Thanks though for the 'How To'. Will tell you what it is like after tomorrows proper test.

• 1 month later...

Took the plates out my bike to do this mod and found two of them were broken! Have this morning received new sureflex plates- does the mod need to be done on these? Or is this just a beta stock plate fix? Someone help asap to save me wasted hours on a weekend!!

Took the plates out my bike to do this mod and found two of them were broken! Have this morning received new sureflex plates- does the mod need to be done on these? Or is this just a beta stock plate fix? Someone help asap to save me wasted hours on a weekend!!

After doing the mod to two bikes..... i'd do it to every bike i'd own regardless of brand of clutch.

Edited by NZRalphy