Sherco 125 Academy Rear Suspension Shock

manwithtool

I'm a bit puzzled by my lads 2008 125 academy. We went practising in the snow yesterday, and he was having trouble getting up some of the hills. I had a go on his bike and immediately notice his rear suspension was bottoming out. I recently had the rear suspension to bits to re grease and I'm wondering f I put it back together correct. Looking at the manula I downloaded from the MRS website it all looks on and in fact I can't see how it can go back together wrong.

I did notice that our shock seems to be upside down, ie the adjuster rings are upper most ont the shock bu seem to be on the bottom in the diagram. The writing on the shock is the correct way up but this might not mean anything. So which is the right way up ???

Secondly I increased the tension on the spring by winding the spring tighter, but this seems to have made the bottoming out worse....any clues ?

Any advice on this or set up would be welcome cheers.

By the way he's about 11 stone and I'm 14 stone.....Christmas takes it's toll !!!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right I've had a tinker with it and it doesnt seem to matter what pre load I put on the spring the shock botoms out. I assume as it's a gas filled shock the gas does most of the springing ? And therefore the gas has gone ?

I have to say this Sherco is proving to be a pain in the *rse.

I dread to think what a new Shock or aftermarket shock will cost...any comments ?

Right I've had a tinker with it and it doesnt seem to matter what pre load I put on the spring the shock botoms out. I assume as it's a gas filled shock the gas does most of the springing ? And therefore the gas has gone ?

I have to say this Sherco is proving to be a pain in the *rse.

I dread to think what a new Shock or aftermarket shock will cost...any comments ?

I have replaced one on a 320 and was about

What annoys me is that this 2008 has had the fan and now the shock break. The old 2006 was still on it's original rear shock and fan. Are they not building them to the same standard these days ?

I don't remember spending this sort of money 20 years ago. and on a bike that's only two years old.

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/style_...icons/icon7.gif

The Olle's are cheap disposable crap.

On mine ('07) the seal around the valving stack(seals against the shock body) went south allowing the oil to completely bypass around the stack.....makes for some very fast rebound.

that fast rebound then pulled the shock shaft apart(broke it) at the threads above the lower eye.

Now have a TRP ....now this is what should come stock..or a Ohlin's

Go with either and be happier.

What annoys me is that this 2008 has had the fan and now the shock break. The old 2006 was still on it's original rear shock and fan. Are they not building them to the same standard these days ?

I don't remember spending this sort of money 20 years ago. and on a bike that's only two years old.

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/style_...icons/icon7.gif

You say it is bottoming out? Does it still have rebound dampening or is the spring just sagged out? If it acts like a pogo, there is no dampening.

Well, I've managed to get a shock from a 2006 125. As the fittings all look the same I'm hoping it will fit and work ok. I certainly won't be replacing with the same shock again. If anyone from MRS or Sherco is reading this....Please note it's things like this that will loose you sales in the future !!!!!

And the damping is fine, just a lack of spring.

Mudflap sounds like a good idea, I know my Beta has one and seems to work well......another mod added to the list.

Cheers all for the advice, I think the shock I'm getting is actually a 2005 no idea what make !

JohnB can;t see the 2008 shock was adjustable for Damping either.

The 2008 shock had an adjuster screw at the bottom of the shock, you could adjust the damping by turning through an adjustment of about 14 different positions. Also dont think the 2005 fits the later models as it is about 10-15 mm shorter and also the spring position is different.

Edited by John.B

the olle shocks are rubbish ive had to replace mine so has a friend we have both put ohlins on and not one fault worth the expence tho plus if the ohlins decides to pack up they can be rebuilt hope this helps

is this the same ohlins as gasgas uses? i can buy a gasgas ohlins cheap so i wonder if it will fit my sherco?

anyone knows?

regards bob

The 2008 shock had an adjuster screw at the bottom of the shock, you could adjust the damping by turning through an adjustment of about 14 different positions. Also dont think the 2005 fits the later models as it is about 10-15 mm shorter and also the spring position is different.

The '05 shock will fit later models as long as you use the earlier wishbone link...the later wishbone has the 3 bolt holes closer together.