Land Rover 110

neils on wheels

110s are great trials transport, I'm on my second. I had a hard top (van) and now have a station wagon

110 Hard top takes 2 bikes easily, 3 at a push

110 Station wagon takes 1 bike easily, 2 at a push (all 10 seats in, 7 folded!)

Don't put a rack on the back without talking to the rack manufacturer first, the suspension characteristics can put very high loads through the rack.

At a trial you never struggle to find a parking place and if it's a boggy field, it's amaxing how many pals you suddenly have.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

• 5 years later...

I carried heavy old British bikes for thousands of miles on a rack on the back of a six cylinder LWB Safari for years in the 1970s.  For events that were many miles away we also hooked our caravan on the back at the same time.

The Land Rover is built for hard work and didn't appear to notice the load, although I had checked very thoroughly that I was well within the tow bar loading allowances before starting the project.  The rack I used comprised three parts, a sturdy back plate that went between the tow ball and the rear plate of the Land Rover chassis which had two square section tubes welded vertically either side of the hitch, then there were two removable  sections, all made of square section tube, one with a loop into which the rear wheel of the bike slotted, the other with an angled loop which carried the front wheel.  I had a strap which went around the seat tube of the bike to the spare wheel mounted on the rear door, then a trailer board/number plate which plugged in to the caravan socket on the Safari.

The loading was nothing near as great as, for example, having a shooting party of three in the rear seat and four in the side seats of the rear compartment, so the Land Rover springing took it in its stride, as it were.

Like has been said above, you could cope with parking no matter what the ground conditions were and there were several occasions when my tow chain helped to extract the entire fleet of competitors vehicles, like at the very first Union Jack trial organised by the Stratford upon Avon club, I think the venue was called something like Desert Woods, when they all parked up on a dry sunny day - then it began to rain and deluged throughout the event, leaving the parking area at the bottom of the field as a quagmire.........

Happy days.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 30/08/2016 at 9:09 PM, floydbassman said:

I am putting my 109 series 3 safari back on the road next month. First thing I will be doing is to see if I can get my Greeves TFS in the back, and also if any room left, a Gasgas 125.... Watch this space...

Well, better late than never.Its finally back on the road. Spent this weekend making a ramp and a stand to sit under the bikes which went in no problem. The ramp and stand are made of scaffold planks and old roof joist wood. Works well but weighs more than the bikes {or feels like it does...). mk 2 versions to be made from ally and foldable.