M-80 Swinging Arm Bushes

myson

Hi guys, i am continuing with the restoration of my M-80 and am looking for guidance on removing swinging arm bushes prior to grit blasting and powder coating frame and swinging arm. Any tricks or tips? By the way is

Edited by myson

Its not a bad price for the blast and coating. Just make sure you take everything with you, last time I forgot to take my rear brake pedal so had that done later on.

I didn't remove the outer bushes for the powdercoating as I would have probably mangled them when bashing them out with a drift.

Hi - As stated, you can leave the outer bushes in if there is no play in the swing arm. If there is drift them out and replace with bronze bush & spindle set - not the plastic ones.

Remember to clean out the grit from within the swingarm and headstock before reassembling.

I used to have the powder coaters blast the frame but the grit they tend to use is very aggressive and one frame came back minus the frame number! Now I blast them myself as not only do I use a fine abrasive but I get into all the nooks and crannies so I don't end up with powder coated mud at the frame joints.

Also make sure to thoroughly degrease as the powder coating process uses heat and any bearing grease (headstock, swingarm) will run out and ruin the finish.

Check the RAL code of the silver the contractor intends (he will have a RAL colour chart to compare) to use and tell them not to just hang it with any old silver items going through the oven. The Bultaco silver has a high silver opacity (almost metallic) so look at the RAL colour chart and agree a code before handing frame over. Somewhere I have a code for the silver but sorry, cannot find it at the moment.

Thanks again for help, will pay attention to everything you mentioned. I am replacing the spindle as threads are ropey, is it worth renewing bushes while it is stripped down to save work later? When you say outer bushes I can only see one set which are in the swinging arm, not like later models that have two sets.

Cheers

Edited by myson

Thanks again for help, will pay attention to everything you mentioned. I am replacing the spindle as threads are ropey, is it worth renewing bushes while it is stripped down to save work later? When you say outer bushes I can only see one set which are in the swinging arm, not like later models that have two sets.

Cheers

Could of had the 'orrible silentbloc (Bonded rubber) conversion at one time. Usually complete with 1/2" spindle instead of the standard 12mm.

Original was Bronze outer bushes, with steel inner bushes/sleeves, and a spacer between them.

Wayne....

Had a look in a copy of a manual(for Alpina so similar to Sherpa) I have and there were two types of swinging arm fitted one had a one piece tube across (Mod 49 type?)between frame and the other was two short tubes. Mine has the one piece and it looks like the 12mm spindle just runs through the bush without any outer bushes. Has not been modded in any way as I can see the bushes in the arm,

Cheers

Had a look in a copy of a manual(for Alpina so similar to Sherpa) I have and there were two types of swinging arm fitted one had a one piece tube across (Mod 49 type?)between frame and the other was two short tubes. Mine has the one piece and it looks like the 12mm spindle just runs through the bush without any outer bushes. Has not been modded in any way as I can see the bushes in the arm,

Cheers

Up to model 151 had the earlier style swinging arm. After that the rear engine mount became part of the swinging arm assembly, hence the two tubes.

What do your visible bushes look like? have a flange same diameter as the swinging arm tube? and made of Phos/bronze?

Wayne.....

Edited by wayne_weedon

Should have inner bushes then, Picture below is linked from Bultaco UK's website. Your machine should have the parts shown top left. 2 of each.

I was more concerned that if you had the silentbloc conversion that the rubber might have done weird stuff in the powder coating cure ovens.

Wayne....

image007.jpg