Mot Requirement -3 Yr Rule?

I have a slightly technical question regarding the rules for MOTs. My bike was first registered as new in May'07, and is currently taxed I think until June'10, after which I will have to go through the hassle of getting it MOT'd in order to tax it. Does anyone know if I SORN it now, and then re-tax it before it comes up to it's 3rd birthday, then the tax disc will run for another year before I have to get it MOT'd? (e.g if I re-tax in April'10, will run to April'11 when it will be nearly 4 years old?) Reason is I only plan to keep it about a year and I'm looking for the least hassle way to extend the taxed status a bit longer. Or. legally should a vehicle over 3 years old have an MOT anyway?

yes even if an MOT cert has only got a week or less on it to run you can still get a years tax with it

Not so sure about that? might be wrong though

Have a look in the Montesa forum, I just did a daytime MOT for my bike and it was real easy

Edited by The Addict

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that a vehicle must have a current MOT certificate (be recorded as such on the database) if it is to be used on the road.

If you are stopped and the bike isn't MOTd, I think its a fixed penalty notice and

if registered from new a motorcycle must have an mot test and pass certificate after the third anniversary of it been originally registered if you wish to use it on the road. the motorcycle once it has been registered must be either 'taxed' or declared sorn. the two are not linked other than you cannot tax a vehicle unless you have a current mot test certificate.

Your vehicle ( in this case a bike) must have a valid MOT and Insurance which are both in date at the time a tax disc becomes current.

So for example if your tax and MOT both expire at the end of January you cannot get a new tax disc midway through January (which becomes valid on 1st Feb) without a new MOT as you will not have a valid MOT at the time the tax becomes active.

So to summarise you need to get your bike Mot'd before you can get a new tax disc.

If you go down the SORN route and then retax the bike before its 3 years old you will still have to MOT it to be able to legally ride it on the road.

I'm pretty sure your insurance will be void if the bike is not MOT'd and you were involved in an accident.

Edited by Dougalthedog

• 11 months later...

B4ORT... I liked the bit about the Vaseline.... a think being Scottish we all need tae carry some vaseline.. ye never know who yer gonna meet,,

I don't mind meeting people face to face !

Tax is due on 31st Jan - definitely gonna need the petroleum jelly. :moon:

Edited by B40RT

• 1 month later...