Number Plates

aardy

Just wondering what people use for road registered bikes in the way of a numberplate. Do you have to get a plastic one made up properly or can you just scrawl some numbers on a yellow background - obviously the correct ones! I got my ty250 registered last year but it didn't have a numberplate for its MOT. MOT time is comming up again and I don't want it to fail on its number plate. I couldn't use a plastic one for trials but do you have to have one for the MOT.

Thanks

I didn't think number plates were actually part of the MOT test. I had a shagged one on a car, it had faded & the numbers were difficult to read, when I querried if it needed changing I was told it wasn't an MOT issue.

I didn't think number plates were actually part of the MOT test. I had a shagged one on a car, it had faded & the numbers were difficult to read, when I querried if it needed changing I was told it wasn't an MOT issue.

I believe they're now included as part of the test to crack down on people that illegal fonts and use the screw heads to make make their plates look 'special' :o I think it's just so they can read them with the ANPR cameras to ensure we all pay our taxes...

Like everybody (nearly) say's Vosa specification is only legal solution we use old butter tub cut down to make an L section and glue it to underside of mudguard..flaps and bends but presents near vertical surface (another legal requirement for the cameras)..you could rivet or bolt it on with big washer. Then scrawl numbers on with felt tip.

You can check the requirements in the manual online. 'motuk'

also check the 'special notices' section.

This is cut/paste from DVLA;

Motorcycle number plates should have a

character height - 64 millimetres

character width - 44 millimetres (except the figure 1 or letter I)

character stroke - 10 millimetres

space between characters - 10 millimetres

space between groups - 30 millimetres

top, bottom and side margins - 11 millimetres (minimum)

vertical space between groups - 13 millimetres

I would reregister with a pre 2001 personal plate with less digits (3 on top line 2 on the bottom line)

The minimum plate size could be 174 x 163mm (7"x6.5")

Edited by RichT

Just wondering what people use for road registered bikes in the way of a numberplate. Do you have to get a plastic one made up properly or can you just scrawl some numbers on a yellow background - obviously the correct ones! I got my ty250 registered last year but it didn't have a numberplate for its MOT. MOT time is comming up again and I don't want it to fail on its number plate. I couldn't use a plastic one for trials but do you have to have one for the MOT.

Thanks

Warning.... To protect us from the bad boys that copy our plates and nick our bikes you will need to provide the number plate supplier with current verification of personal details, together with proof of entitlement to the registration mark. Acceptable verification of personal details would be a current driving licence, bank statement or utility bill, passport, or identity card. Acceptable proof of entitlement documents are the V5 Registration Document, V750 certificate of entitlement, V778 Cherished Transfer Retention Certificate, V11 Vehicle Licence Renewal, or V948 Authorisation Certificate. Without this documentation you will not be able to purchase replacement number plates. I'm sure the ebay seller does this!!!!!!

From VOSA, DVLA & the Police.

I'm just quoting so don't moan at me. K