Montesa 242

bambam_n_chunx

Hi all, I`ve kind of inherited a 242 montesa, trouble is its in a terrible state as its been left outside for years on the farm my dad shoots on.

My question is were these mont`s any good and is it worth restoring? The one saving grace is its all original and all there and the forks look to be in reasonable condition some pitting but above the seal area, the engine has however seized up through being stood.

Or should I save my money and sell it on or break it for spares.

Any advice welcome.

Andy

They're a very good twinshock, don't seem to fetch much even in good condition, parts can be a bit hard to source but in time you'll get most stuff.

If you're restoring to ride and keep then it would be worth it, to restore and sell probably not as the cost would outweigh the sale value

Cheers Woody

I`ve had a bit of a tinker with it this morning and I dont think its all that bad.

The engine looks as though its just the mains that have collapsed on the flywheel side, i`ve got the barrel off and all looks well inside.

Looks like I might get away with just changing the mains and giving the frame a blast and paint for now ,who knows the way things are going it might be worth something one day.

Shame about the forks though they look worse than I first thought.

Andy

If they use 35mm forks like the Cota 200 you can use the stanchions from a newer bike like a honda vt125 (2008?) I just had to cut a couple of inches of the bottom bore them out for 80mm and machine a circlip groove in.

I am lucky as I can do this myself but its got to be cheaper than a

Hi mate

If they are 35mm forks, which I think they are, get yourself a couple of complete fork legs from an old Honda xl250 (mid 70's) and they fit straight on. The only thing you may have to do is fiddle with wheel spacers and perhaps a slightly longer front brake cable as the forks are a bit longer. I have a 247 with the Honda forks and they are much smoother and have longer wheel travel than the original ones. My bike is also fitted with the Honda front wheel which made the conversion a cinch. Hope that helps.

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

I think the mont is going to be too expensive to put right. I`ve looked into it further this morning and the big end is goosed as well as the mains.

The list of jobs to do is growing daily and I think it best just to leave it. For now at least.

Am I right in thinking this is one of the first monts built by honda,perhaps a big end from another honda motor will go straight in.

Anyone know??

Andy

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

I think the mont is going to be too expensive to put right. I`ve looked into it further this morning and the big end is goosed as well as the mains.

The list of jobs to do is growing daily and I think it best just to leave it. For now at least.

Am I right in thinking this is one of the first monts built by honda,perhaps a big end from another honda motor will go straight in.

Anyone know??

Andy

Not so much that these were built by Honda, more like the first new Montesa to be made under Honda's ownership, so personally speaking, i doubt if Honda parts would work.

But as mentioned by Sooty, give Inmotion a shout.

Also, try www.thetwinshockshop.co.uk or give them a call on (01395) 514287.

Regards

GaffaMont

Edited by GaffaMont

The 242 is a 60mm stroke wich is the same as the 247 cota of which there were lots produced.The rods are the same for both bikes and should be available from In Motion or sammy Miller,or try a guy I use in Spain who has lots of NOS,his name is Fancesc,his english is OK and his email address is frankiemountain@hotmail.com.He has an ebay shop by the same name,but has a lot more stuff than he advertises.

Good luck,do it up and ride it!

Cotacrazy

Thanks for the advice,I would like to get the 242 up and running but I`m in the middle of restoring my 300 fantic so will put it on hold for a while. I`ve had the frame powder coated so will build the chassis up but the engine will have to wait.

I`ve always wanted a 247, when I was a kid my dad used to own an ex works rob edwards montesa 247 circa 73`ish. I wish I could find it now.

Andy