Kick Starting Beta 270

simmsy

I fully submerged my Beta 270 on the week-end, I have now got it up and running but find that kick starting it feels different.

It springs back realy fierce like a cement mixer I am now scared to kick it over in fear of breaking my ankle.

Is this a timing re-tard issue caused by the drowing of the bike when it was running.

Thanks

Edited by simmsy

I fully submerged my Beta 270 on the week-end, I have now got it up and running but find that kick starting it feels different.

It springs back realy fierce like a cement mixer I am now scared to kick it over in fear of breaking my ankle.

Is this a timing re-tard issue caused by the drowing of the bike when it was running.

Thanks

Hows it going Jeff. Have a look at the link http://www.betatrialuk.com/content/view/64/51/

I do not see how the timing would have been affected / moved (but you never know) I think she is probably still a bit damp around the electrics, coil,cdi,cut out switch, plug cap/lead, voltage reg etc etc. Did you take the flywheel cover off and spray inside with WD40?

Shrimp Boating is the Future I have smelt it!!

Hows it going Jeff. Have a look at the link http://www.betatrialuk.com/content/view/64/51/

I do not see how the timing would have been affected / moved (but you never know) I think she is probably still a bit damp around the electrics, coil,cdi,cut out switch, plug cap/lead, voltage reg etc etc. Did you take the flywheel cover off and spray inside with WD40?

Shrimp Boating is the Future I have smelt it!!

B*****ks to bikes I'M off to buy a shrimp boat

if you totally drowned it and filled the cylinder with water it could of stopped the engine dead shearing the woodruff key on the flywheel.

only a thought,

Would it not run at all then? I can get it started but for some reason it has one allmighty kick back that it didi not have before.

flywheel might of twisted slightly, causing the timing to be out

I would put my money on it being the woodruff key...Whip the flywheel off and take a peek, remember though to torque her back up (this is important) use some rope (Not Wire) down the plug hole to jam her up.... I had the same problem with an old shrimping vessels donkey engine when i dropped her over the side once....I think for this valuable information you owe me a drink..and I bet I am right!!

:o

if you totally drowned it and filled the cylinder with water it could of stopped the engine dead shearing the woodruff key on the flywheel.

only a thought,

Chris,

Spot on**** the woodruff key had sheared and is now sorted.

Thanks

There might still be water on the bottom of the crankcase and you should be not starting it till you drain lube and recheck. I am surpised you have not damaged the rod.crank/bearings etc.

Or maybe you have!

It springs back realy fierce like a cement mixer