Something For The Collector

anyoldiron

I know some about these great little bikes. There were three in the SSTC at one point. Chris Sutton's modified Reg May special with TS185 engine,Bultaco plumbing and more poke than the Spanish 250's of the day-loads lighter too. This was the limited production Red with yellow side mouldings. Stephen Dudley had an original 120 purchased from Comerfords which was subsequently painted black with the yellow mouldings.

Stephen's father John purchased a well used ex SSDT machine from McLaren/Heron so that would've been the Hemmingway steed. This was restored and painted blue and was later sold to Patrick Wills. This one had been over-bored to approximately 130cc(ish) but had far more additional performance than would've been produced by this op only. I expect it had been breathed upon by a Heron engineer.

I rode all three and Chris's bike damn near pulled my arms out of their sockets-no really!

A Nice bike really it reminds me a lot to Zündapp, Monark and Kreidler trialsbikes. These Little machines Are much netter aa You expect in First hand. Our champion in classic Trials The last two years use a Zündapp in expert class. And this year I could see a 50cc Kreidler air fan cooled at the international acandinavian classic Trials cup in Brockhöfe. What You muss belonging power in first hand is lost in weight to these bikes they are so small and light they do ride really well. The power output is more on off but do not matter as the reminding rest can easily done with some body English.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The subject "Something for the collector" so for people interested in historic machines, nostalgia, collecting  yes? There's an idiotic-moronic even comment that arrived in Oct 2015 therefore. I cannot begin to understand that sort of mentality OR what the person was doing wasting his time in a thread such as this?

How effective this particular machine was for it's day and for how long is how relevant exactly?

Verbal diarrhoea and frankly embarrassing.

Edited by ondarider