Mick Mills Frames

millsbomb

Hi Guy's,

Well the newest Mick Mills frame to be nearly put into service is the one that the Dawson boys have just put together, from I might add, a Faber "Otter" Mk 2 framed bike. Poor old Dave as had a problem with the engine though,so it is still not up and running but I'm sure it will be soon. Dave will then give us a report of how it handles I bet.

Don't start me on the "Otter" frame and Scotland. The bike that Faber are now supplying to one of the organising committee, Is a sham, and I might add that OTF converted his B40 "Otter" to nearly this spec three or four years ago. and had no chance of that bike being OK for "The Trial".

I just hope Faber are not calling the current bike a "Otter replica" cause it's not. The "Otter" came from a copy of Pat Slinn's and Scott Ellis'es bikes that were both built in the BSA Comp shop although neither were works backed projects. And I might add that Pat built his bike in 1964. which is a lot earlier than say an effort made by the late Mick Mills who did work at BSA, but at the retirement home in the country as they called it. Incidentally the "Otter" name was given to the frame by the first replica builder Harry Foster. and not out of Sammy's catalogue. For all you boys with BSA "Otter" framed bikes out there and not knowing if there is a class for you to ride them in, there could be light at the end of the tunnel soon, if I have my way!!!!

Regards Charlie.

okay......so how do i get a mills frame eligible for scotland without joining the organising committee,as i do not want to go to all the expense of building a new bike (will cost thousands) then for people to get arsey who are riding late sixties copies.dont mind the cost if i have a bike that i can ride and enjoy for a few years hassle free.as we all know most pre 65 bikes are not.please advise thanks

Being realistic, no-one is going to be able to answer that question apart from the comittee themselves although I've no idea which one in particular. You never know, the frame may be acceptable, it has bottom frame tubes and oil in frame for a C15/B40 now seems ok whereas before it wasn't.

I think the easy answer is don't build a bike for one trial - build what you want and ride it for the other 50 weeks in the year!

I don't care that my bike has grimeca hubs (they are 20 odd years old and they work - plus they cost a lot less than a pair of billet hubs made last week that might just be the right pattern!) also I might put a del orto carb on it - I am happy to ride in the specials class or whatever they are calling it in the Miller series this year or even the twinshock class if I must - after all I just want to go out and enjoy a day out on my trials bike - I like it to look nice and work well (who doesn't) but I am not going to spend money just building a bike for a chance to be in the ballot for a trial once a year!

Get a Mick Mills frame (if you can - I don't know if Bonkey has any left) they are fantastically made though I still don't know if they ride any better than others out there as I haven't ridden it yet (next weekend, hopefully)

Dave

• Like 1

Very good point well made Dave. I've seen a couple of these frames over at Steve Gaggs and am very impressed. They look really well made and functional. If i was in the market for one i would definately choose one over the competition and i have experience of the Faber and the Mills frame or copies of look a LOT better thought out and definately better executed. Like you i havent ridden one yet but am open to offers :chairfall:

Totally agree with you about building your bike to ride 52 weeks of the year and for the life of me cant understand peoples obsession with the Scottish Trial, bit like Macbeth dare we mention its name?, which is a one off and rule wise is a lottery and a minefield.

There are other Trials out there so dont get such tunnel vision and obsessed with that Trial.

When i saw yours and another bike Dave at Steves they did have the wow factor :thumbup:

Lets have some piccys when you have it's debut outing.

Very good point well made Dave. I've seen a couple of these frames over at Steve Gaggs and am very impressed. They look really well made and functional. If i was in the market for one i would definately choose one over the competition and i have experience of the Faber and the Mills frame or copies of look a LOT better thought out and definately better executed. Like you i havent ridden one yet but am open to offers :chairfall:

Totally agree with you about building your bike to ride 52 weeks of the year and for the life of me cant understand peoples obsession with the Scottish Trial, bit like Macbeth dare we mention its name?, which is a one off and rule wise is a lottery and a minefield.

There are other Trials out there so dont get such tunnel vision and obsessed with that Trial.

When i saw yours and another bike Dave at Steves they did have the wow factor :thumbup:

Lets have some piccys when you have it's debut outing.

Hi mate - all updates on http://classicrider444.blogspot.com/ i think a few of the chaps on here follow the various updates on the site.

The engine came back today after the mishap with the rag and will go back in this week so it should get a run out on sunday.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

yes idd a very nice blog i look at it weekly, its a great help while building my B40 trials bike

it has a special one off frame i have no hopes entering the pre 65 scottisch on my bsa so i have a fantic front hub and a tubeless Yamaha rear wheel