Wanting To Ride

hrc2002

Evenin folks,

Ok, I ride motocycle trials as you all know...and if you didnt, you know now.

I want to start bike trials as a cross training and also because I want a new hobby, a new challenge. We live in Derbyshire, and the exact place where we live is GREAT for trials (street) and its just a shame to not ride it.

Me and my friend want to start, money is not a problem (within reason, couple of hundred will be ok) but...what bike do I start on?

For me...I am skinny and weigh next to nothing, I am fussy about what I ride, must look good, must be good. Must be a 20".

For my mate...Hes about 6ft-ish, big lad, will also be fussy and will also want a 20".

Ok, the questions.

Whats the maintence like on them? Money isn't a problem for parts, but will I be fixing it every weekend in the garage?

Any other advice to offer? (Looking at R2W here :wacko:)

Cheers!

Evenin folks,

Ok, I ride motocycle trials as you all know...and if you didnt, you know now.

I want to start bike trials as a cross training and also because I want a new hobby, a new challenge. We live in Derbyshire, and the exact place where we live is GREAT for trials (street) and its just a shame to not ride it.

Me and my friend want to start, money is not a problem (within reason, couple of hundred will be ok) but...what bike do I start on?

For me...I am skinny and weigh next to nothing, I am fussy about what I ride, must look good, must be good. Must be a 20".

For my mate...Hes about 6ft-ish, big lad, will also be fussy and will also want a 20".

Ok, the questions.

Whats the maintence like on them? Money isn't a problem for parts, but will I be fixing it every weekend in the garage?

Any other advice to offer? (Looking at R2W here :D)

Cheers!

Ooukei, how do you do I'd do you too. :wacko:

I'm 129lbs(ish) and 5.6 feet. I used to have a very nice Yellow Brisa B20 (20in) with all the top notch parts, ie. Magura HS-33 Hydraulic rim brakes, front freewheel crank set... My Bike was 20.9lbs and it felt feather light.

I had to sell it away because my knees couldn't whitstand the abuse of _pedaling_.

I think that Brisa would spot on choice for you two! Nice flickable yet roomy frame design that is also very durable and cool looking! Seat option is always nice if you want to hone your wheeling skills!

What comes to maintaining pro level trials bike, they are often very durable (exept koxx XTPs) and maintance free. I had two mayor probs during the last summer: one broken chain, one broken rear brakepad.

Keep your eye on transmission, espcecially on chain.

My mate has/had a Hope 4pot disc brake on his bike and that was a real pain in the butt! There always something wrong, leaking, squeking, dragging...

Ok, my mate as ridden both Monty and Onza and a a few others in his 3 years of riding. Its amazing to watch him ride, hes now Intermediate Champion and has a few sponsers on the go.

I want to get into it because it looks great fun and it can be done anywhere at anytime. I also like to show off, and the streets are a great place for doing that :wacko:

I've mentioned it before, but now I have a job and a reliable income I can finally do it, which is great.

Ive been looking at the Onza T-Mag, which is about

I was think about getting a trials bike (push bike) but what size of wheels would a starter be better off with 20" or 26" wheels

Gavin

It depends on how tall you are. On 20" bike riding posture dents to be less or more cramped. That caused some back problems to me.

By the way... I'm now thinking about strating bike trials again. Yesterday I tried my mate's "Echo Urban" 26in trialser, I felt much more comfortable on it than on my previous Brisa.

On the other hand 20" bike feels lot more flickable and easier to handle but some times they just don't feel stable enough. 20" wheels won't roll as good as 26" wheels but smaller wheel accelrates faster and also they are lighter yet stiffer...

It is also a bit of compromise.

I will buy one of these:

Onza T-Rex Wood Stock -spec

It depends on how tall you are. On 20" bike riding posture dents to be less or more cramped. That caused some back problems to me.

By the way... I'm now thinking about strating bike trials again. Yesterday I tried my mate's "Echo Urban" 26in trialser, I felt much more comfortable on it than on my previous Brisa.

On the other hand 20" bike feels lot more flickable and easier to handle but some times they just don't feel stable enough. 20" wheels won't roll as good as 26" wheels but smaller wheel accelrates faster and also they are lighter yet stiffer...

It is also a bit of compromise.

I will buy one of these:

Onza T-Rex Wood Stock -spec

I'm about 6 (foot) 3" (inches) tall

I was looking at the onza t-pro

onza t-pro picture

But I also like the T-lite

I would really like one of the wood stock bikes but there about

Edited by Wonder Boy

HRC, I would definitely recommend the onza t-bird as a first bike, they are very well made, low maintenance and seem to have a comfortable and easy riding position. They are also quite cheap, so if you decide after a few months cycle trials isnt for you then you wont have lost out so much. You should also have a look on ebay, theres nearly always 10-20 onzas going at a time.

rite, for the height of you, i would start on a 26, purely beasue on a 20ich you would feel to cramped, i would have a good look, at the new onza t-rex, the one with 3 seat tubes, these ride like a 20 inch but feel bigger, i ride a alibongo, made by planet-x which is also exelent. for a mod (20inch) i would either get the new t-mag coming out soon as the old t-mag had a tendancy to crack, or the onza t-pro 04 or 05. :)

• 3 weeks later...

R2W,

If you pick up another stock frame, look real hard at the BT Ravens from Poland!

I picked up a 5.0 this summer for 300.00 frame only used. The chain stays are really short. I have a Echo Pure and the BT is way more responsive on the rear wheel.

sam

Soon to be 38 I know what your saying about the back thing.

All the people I ride with are big into rear wheel moves, I just work on sport level stuff. I may not be as courages, but the cardio work out even on minor sections is huge!

sam