Cheapest Option For Transport

jonnybmac

Isnt this post about cheapest transport??

Surely a 4x4 has to be one of the most expensive,road tax,fuel ect???

VANS

Main advantages are bike is safe and secure at ALL time,room to carry more than one bike and gear,a BIG plus is that you can get chenged and take shelter in it in our rubbish weather climate,after doing a 6 hour road trial in -5 degrees its nice to get changed in a van!!!

TRAILER

Great as you can use a car and not have to use van as your main transport,BAD because your car gets ****ted up,bike gets all road dirt and salt in the winter,and unless you rap the bike or engine and it p****s down on your way to trial,you can get water in places you do not want it!!!

MAIN PROBLEM WITH TRAILERS!!!!! Is the alarming increase in people being followed home and having there bikes stolen,when its on a trailer its on display to the whole world,unless you get a BOX trailer then you also get the change inside benefit of a van???

You can get two bikes in the back of a Vauxhall Combo van,the 1.3cdti are cheap to tax and 60 mpg,now thats cheap!!!

Hope some of this helps??

I have had all three,small van,combo,car with trailer and now a Vivaro style van,which is just like driving a big car and returns nearly 40mpg,best vehicle ive had so far!!!!

Benz

• 1 month later...

just to add to this topic - alot of people look into trailers

as i did , then found out

AS my license was after 1 JAN 1997 - you cannot TOW a trailer without taking a test

and a trails bike tends to attract attention from mr plod!

easy i though so looked into it

its a fooking 3 day course ! to tow a poxy trailer ,

you have to learn all the caravan bull and for what - to tow your trailer around to events- as the day i buy a caravan will be the day i will also be admitted to the loony bin!

I am buying a van - hoping to convince my bro into trials then the van will be 1/2 the price

plus you have a riding buddy.

just looking at alternative SMALL vans as T4's are a lot of cash in Devon due to the Surfers colt following!

You can tow a trailer.. It just has to be below a specific weight. I have a bike rack on the back of my Saxo now

Car licences obtained on or after 1 January 1997

If you passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 you're limited to vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes maximum authorised mass towing a trailer up to 750kgs, or a vehicle and trailer combination up to 3.5 tonnes MAM providing the MAM of the trailer doesn't exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle.

A bike only weights 80kg.. With trailer your looking at at around 200 max? could pull a 3 bike traler no problem

Edited by jonnybmac

I know this is of little relevance but......

My pal and I rode our trail bikes in the local club trial yesterday (we're doing the Sphinx LDT next week and used it as a spot of 'big bike' practice), as it's only 3 miles from my house we rode there and back on our bikes.

Later I checked how much fuel I had used, I started with exactly 3.5 litres and finished with a drop over 2 litres.

There, back and a whole trial for the price of one and a half litres of fuel..... now that's the cheapest option. :thumbup: