2010 Sherco 2.9 First Impressions

wayne thais

I am at Ron and Esther's, we came down to surprise her on her birthday. The same day that we arrived Ron's new 2010 2.9 arrived. We celebrated Esther's birthday on Wednesday night, and Ron started taking the Sherco apart on Thursday, he always takes a new bike apart, everything comes off except for the engine and the electronics. He then puts it back together applying grease to every bearing and anti-seize to all of the bolts that go into aluminum. He also works his magic on many other components (secret). I got to observe all of the changes that the engineers have made to the new bike. I am very impressed, here is a list of the significant changes that I saw.

1. Entirely new frame, very nicely finished, good welds and neat little forgings where the front part of the frame attaches to the engine. The frame is extremely narrow at the head tube area, but it looks plenty sturdy.

2. The new fuel tank is nicely done, it will take some time to figure out how to put fuel in it and how often, but hopefully the learning curve will be shallow.

3. The fuel tank and the muffler fit fairly well, Ron had to make a couple of adjustments to get the rear fender to set level.

4. The wiring is all new and much simpler, the components look better and the location of the electronics is much better.

5. A nice touch is the neat cast bracket that serves as the rear head stay and the mounting for the electronics.

6. The radiator fill cap is right out in the open, much easier to get to than formerly.

7. The new air filter box location is awesome, so easy to access, the filter should stay dry. The dzus fastener is kind of a PITA but it is a proven design and they have been used in the aircraft industry for years.

Ron should finish everything today and hopefully give it a test ride before taking it to Kansas tomorrow. He did start it last night and it sounded really good. He did rejet the carb, 118 main and a 35 pilot.

Initial impression is that the engineers have done a very good job on this new bike.

Wayne

thats one of the bad bits

I looked at one recently and on full lock the fork or yoke makes contact with the top of the radiator before anything else.

thats not good.

No it does not. If you look they touch the frame look underneath and you can see, just slightly before the radiator although thats what appears to happen