Week 160 -

Andy

Maybe if more trials had roadwork, took in all the old sections of yesteryear, then people could justify the expense of making their bikes legal.

I remember way back when, as trials began to lose the large laps and outlying sections, number plates and tax discs of all sorts adorned certain bikes for a Sunday.......

I also remember at a certain Eastern Centre trial many moons ago, the police took a big interest in bikes and riders, I seem to remember riding back to a certain farm yard and finding the start and finish deserted, bikes on racks and trailers and on the way home... I think they did hand out prosecutions as well.... OH the mist of time... so this aint new...

If you're on the road between sections, surely you are not competing in a trial at that moment in time, merely using the road to access the next part of the trial. Surely no extra cover needed?

This is the point I made to Carole Nash and explained what is required in terms of cover for the roadwork which is just to enable me to get to different locations of the event, They removed the disclaimer about trials use, once they were happy that the roadwork wasn't part of the trial and that there was no racing involved. I'm covered for any road trial with my policy

This is the point I made to Carole Nash and explained what is required in terms of cover for the roadwork which is just to enable me to get to different locations of the event, They removed the disclaimer about trials use, once they were happy that the roadwork wasn't part of the trial and that there was no racing involved. I'm covered for any road trial with my policy

:wall:

If you're on the road between sections, surely you are not competing in a trial at that moment in time, merely using the road to access the next part of the trial. Surely no extra cover needed?

I think it depends on the trial - if there is a time element to it, then they deem the road work to be part of the event.

• Like 1

Got to chime in here,

When I am using the car, I am not using the bike........and vice-versa...why should I have to pay road tax twice !

Totally agree with you but you will NEVER get those blood sucking barstewards to give up that cash cow. I mean how else would they finance refilling their moat or redecorating their duck house for christs sake?

Youve got more chance of getting the PM out of the bus lane on the M4 than scrapping road tax and putting in on fuel which would be the ONLY fair way.

Either Plod would find something else to do you on. Even if your bike is taxed and insured there are so many construction and use regulations let alone depositing mud on the public highway etc etc.

Dont believe me???? OK what does it say on the sidewall of your tyres? wouldnt be not for road use would it? and running at the pressures we all run at that would be deemed in a court of law as running tyres underinflated and therefore an offence.

Another thought, lets say you was involved in an accident, which went to court and the jury hears that you have no insurance, tax or even bike licence in some cases. Wouldn't be so clever when doing a stint in the nick.

Exactly.

And anyone who thinks it's a good idea to use the reg plate and tax disc from another vehicle, it's not a criminal offence to ride a bike without tax. It is a criminal offence to display a altered/false/incorrect tax disc.

Here's a little story, I may have posted this before? not sure these days? getting on abit now so apologies if I've told this more than once.

I have been guilty of riding with no insurance/tax or bike licence in the past, like many,many still do now, very long time ago but all the same it did happen at one trial.

I was following two riders, both good mates, we approached a T junction to quite a busy road (Very much like the Buxton road) probably 30 feet apart all of us and needed to turn left, I watched ****** look right at the junction and ran through to the left without stopping, I looked right and did the same as the car I could see I thought was far enough away for me to nip infront easy. As i looked forward again to the junction **** had stopped at the lines, I hit him square in the back at about 20-25mph I think, knocking my self off and ****, luckily he's a big lad and didnt travel too far across the junction else that car would have without doubt run him over. That incident made my mind up from then on, get bike test done asap and ride legal, have done that ever since, probably 15-16 years now.

Did I ever foresee an incident like that happening at a road trial? no i didnt, it can happen lads and happens extremely quickly with huge regrets and consequences for the rest of your life and others lives if things go wrong. I had the exclusion removed from my insurance thanks to one of Petes posts so I'm as legal as a trials bike can be.

Edited by The Addict

We might feel a bit miffed if all the police were doing was giving fixed penalty notices for small plates or defective horns, but I personally feel that they are fully justified in stopping riders to check tax and insurance.

Think of it another way, this year 'if' they found 'X' number of riders without insurance, next year they might stop 'every' rider to check every bike. 100+ fixed penalty notices for incorrect tyre pressures maybe?

if you are not taxed or insured don't ride in a road trial, simple. just go to a normal trial on private ground and do what you do normally, just because you can't do the road trial doesn't mean you can't ride