American World Champ

kramit

Take the 2 top US Trials Riders, Pat and Cody and at their current ability with their current bikes. How many years back would we have to go (and everything else being the same in that era, bikes, riders, etc.) for them to be top 5 World Riders? Or better yet, World Champ?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the 2 top US Trials Riders, Pat and Cody and at their current ability with their current bikes. How many years back would we have to go (and everything else being the same in that era, bikes, riders, etc.) for them to be top 5 World Riders? Or better yet, World Champ?

Very very hypothetical, as the bikes are so good now as well, but maybe having seen pat up close in the wtc a couple of times, 25 years or so?

From what I have seen, I truly believe that if Pat moved to Europe full time, he has the skills to compete to be world champ right now! :barf:

I'd have to agree with Steve , A fulltime commitment and backing like the top have and he could do it !

Glenn

pardon me if I digress a bit here but let me ask this ... what was it that put Bernie at the top in the first place, (talent aside)I may be off slightly in history but it was my understanding that Marlin and Bernie and maybe even you Lane, all rode together quite a bit and kept pushing each other further and further, they had some great terrain in So Cal and in my oppinion this is what it takes to excell at this sport, if Pat was riding regularly with some one who was better than him he would get better, two or three really good riders who keep pushing each other's limits are going to get better and better, that is in my oppinion what it will take to get an American in the points chase in world trials.

What if Jeremy Megrath or Ricky Carmichel had chosen trials instead of motocross? they were the best MX racers in the entire world at their prime. Could they have been the best trials rider in the world if they had chosen that route? I doubt it since it was the competition that raised their game.

Edited by MotoVintage

pardon me if I digress a bit here but let me ask this ... what was it that put Bernie at the top in the first place, (talent aside)I may be off slightly in history but it was my understanding that Marlin and Bernie and maybe even you Lane, all rode together quite a bit and kept pushing each other further and further, they had some great terrain in So Cal and in my oppinion this is what it takes to excell at this sport, if Pat was riding regularly with some one who was better than him he would get better, two or three really good riders who keep pushing each other's limits are going to get better and better, that is in my oppinion what it will take to get an American in the points chase in world trials.

What if Jeremy Megrath or Ricky Carmichel had chosen trials instead of motocross? they were the best MX racers in the entire world at their prime. Could they have been the best trials rider in the world if they had chosen that route? I doubt it since it was the competition that raised their game.

There is something in this, but would bernie have been a champ had he stayed in so cal? Would Fujigas ever have done what he did without embracing europe? Would Adam Raga have been champ had he not ridden in the uk for a year?

There is something in this, but would bernie have been a champ had he stayed in so cal? Would Fujigas ever have done what he did without embracing europe? Would Adam Raga have been champ had he not ridden in the uk for a year?

Good point, Bernie's results went up over the years on the world circut, if I'm not mistaken both Lane & Marlin posted higher results at first