Trials Chain

206_special

An o-ring chain is usually the best choice on most motorcycles, But not usually so on trials bikes. Weight, clearance, and trials lack of distance and/or rpm. I`m sure other opinions will show up soon. Besides trials riders are supposed to be thrifty!

I have run a top quality motocross chain on my 4RT for almost three years of two weekly rides. Is not even half way to it's service limit so has been good value (was almost 3 times the price of a 'cheap' chain). Saying that, will probably look at the DID VT2 x-ring chain when this one has worn out. I imagine that will last even longer with very little maintenance for the small increase in price. The VT2 is a narrow x-ring and will fit the 4RT with no modifications (unlike o-rings which are wider). The VT2 is claimed not to have the extra drag of the o-ring chains.

"Good quality standard chain, WD-40 or Tri Flow, blast it clean and re-treat after a ride" I second that copemech, no need for x ring or o ring chains on a trials bike, good maintenance will see a chain last a season for most riders and an annual renewal is best as sprockets also wear.

:) I may be kinda anal about chain maintenance ( had a loose chain cost a win in a jr. enduro when I was about 10 ...!!!) But I buy a cheap length of bulk no-name chain , install it on new sprockets , And keep it lubricated with a good chain lube , Bel ray or whatever ...

I'll clean excess grunge off it when I wash the bike , and apply more chain lube before I put it away . But chains and sprockets last me for 4 or 5 years ....... But some may say I lubricate my chain to a excess ... Not real fond of high dollar chains for dirt/trials bikes , but a street bike is another matter altogether :beer:

Glenn

Good quality standard chain, WD-40 or Tri Flow, blast it clean and re-treat after a ride. Time and money well spent!

You will not prolong the life with waxy products that collect dirt and mud! :)

I've been doing the WD40 route for a few years now thanks to Marks advise, works a treat everytime :beer: I only use Renthal chains, tried Izumi but stretched alot, chains are very important if someone gave me free Iris chains for the rest of my life they'd still be on the shelf in 30 years,total ****e

Edited by The Addict

I've been doing the WD40 route for a few years now thanks to Marks advise, works a treat everytime :) I only use Renthal chains, tried Izumi but stretched alot, chains are very important if someone gave me free Iris chains for the rest of my life they'd still be on the shelf in 30 years,total ****e

I'll have it Addict, I'm such a pussy that my chains never wear out! I hardly ever get off tickover these days. Might as well use a cheap chain, it'll last for at least 10 years for me :beer:

You lot must never ride

I jet wash the bike after every ride, cover the chain in WD40 afterwards and then apply chain lube before the next ride once the WD40 has got rid of the moisture. I get 6 months max out of a set of sprockets and I dont like to fit a worn chain to new sprockets so the chain goes every 6 months as well.

talon sprockets and either renthal or regina chain

I cant see me getting a year out of a set never mind four or five years

:) I may be kinda anal about chain maintenance ( had a loose chain cost a win in a jr. enduro when I was about 10 ...!!!) But I buy a cheap length of bulk no-name chain , install it on new sprockets , And keep it lubricated with a good chain lube , Bel ray or whatever ...

I'll clean excess grunge off it when I wash the bike , and apply more chain lube before I put it away . But chains and sprockets last me for 4 or 5 years ....... But some may say I lubricate my chain to a excess ... Not real fond of high dollar chains for dirt/trials bikes , but a street bike is another matter altogether :)

Glenn

Five years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You havn't ridden a real trial then! I can wear out a chain and sprockets in 6 days :beer:

Edited by Timp

I've never got to ride the six days , and I'm sure It'll kill a chain and sprocket set , But if time permits I also lube my chain every loop at a event ... Gee back in the day my desert racing buddies couldn't believe I'd get a whole season out of a set either , And I have ridden a few Real trials events , Don't get to compete as much as I would like , But I do take care of my equipment ...