#1 andy

andy

Site Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,675 posts
  • Club:Spearmint Rhino

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:31 PM

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship Round One – Brands Hatch Indy Circuit – Monday 5 April

Lap distance 1.1986miles
Air temp 11.1 degrees c
Track temp 17.2 degrees c
Wind – west north west 15mph

Ellison wins second race thriller for Honda after Kiyonari takes a close second in opener.

James Ellison gave Honda the winning feeling as he rode strongly and determinedly to victory in the second of the two races in the opening round on the short, fast Brands Hatch Indy circuit.

Earlier, he had finished in third place adrift of the returning force of two times former British champion Ryuichi Kiyonari as Honda riders packed the placings in the top six.

Kiyonari, riding the HM Plant Honda CBR1000RR had claimed pole start, while Ellison, who suffered a machine problem that ruled him out of the third element of the grid decider, started from the third row but he was soon carving his way through the pack.

Kiyonari meanwhile had made the perfect start and was heading the action, though always having to contend with the close challenges of Suzuki rider Tommy Hill while Stuart Easton ran third, despite the leg injuries sustained in pre-season testing.

Hill snatched the lead with eight laps remaining, but Kiyonari was always in contention as they battled their way through back-markers, and at the flag, there was only 0.732secs between them.

Ellison, riding similar Honda, but in Swan colours, moved into third place on the penultimate lap at the expense of Suzuki rider Alastair Seeley who finished ahead of Josh Brookes on the second HM Plant Honda. Easton finished a brave sixth.

The newly introduced rules to the championship revised the grid for the second race, with Brookes, having set the fastest lap in the opener taking pole, and Ellison being elevated to second place on the front row with Hill and Kiyonari alongside him.

Ellison made a storming start to the second race, taking full advantage of the rule change to be running clear of Brookes and Hill, while Kiyonari was sluggish off the lane and was soon pulling off with an electrical problem.

It was hard and fast up front with Ellison riding superbly to hold off the determined Hill with Brookes running well in third till disaster struck for the Australian as he slid out of the race at Druids Hairpin.

Ellison fought off Hill to take the victory after 30 laps by 0.186secs with Suuzki team-mates Alastair Seeley and Michael Laverty finishing ahead of the Easton who was riding in some discomfort.

Honda rider quotes after race one:

Ryuichi Kiyonari: “The back markers towards the end of the race were not too much of a problem but I was a little disappointed that I could not push on more – I need to understand more the traction control, tyre life, and keep my lap times more consistent.”

James Ellison: 3rd. “The race was good fun, but I am frustrated and should have started better than tenth on the grid, but the positives are that I know that I have the race and the set-up, and looking at my rear tyre, that underlines are settings are good.”

Josh Brookes: 5th. “I thought I had a bit more to play with but when I wanted to push I couldn’t and I am trying to figure out why. I know that I can do fast laps, but I have to do them all of the way through the race.”

Stuart Easton: 6th. “Early on in the race I felt comfy with the pace, and the only time I had any discomfort was struggling to change direction going down hill from Druids to Graham Hill Bend.
I was having a hard scrap with Seeley and began to think to myself that I couldn’t afford to crash, became a bit tense, and took the position.”

Havier Beltran, team manager HM Plant
Honda: “That was a good effort by Kiyo, he led the race, showed that he had the pace to be up there going for victories. Josh is frustrated with himself, he knows that he can put in fast laps, has held his own and shown his pace by setting the fastest race lap to be on pole for the second race.”

Quotes after race two:

Ellison: 1st. “That was far from comfortable, hard work. My brother Dean told me to get out there get the lead and keep it smooth. I did just that! The only difference we made to the bike between races was new tyres. It has been mega all weekend. I’m just so pleased to win for the team who have worked so hard.

Easton: 5th. “I’m a bit sore, this has been a long weekend, but considering my injury to come away with these results is very good for me. For me it was a case of keeping my nose clean, taking what I could and good points. I am well up in the championship and will get my leg fixed now to be able to start my season for real at Thruxton.”

Kiyonari: (dnf). “This was disappointing for me, we had an electrical problem and there was nothing that I could do.

Brookes: (dnf). “I tried too hard it’s as simple as that. Too much speed, too much brakes, too much angle. I’m just annoyed, but, I’m still in a better position than I was this time last year.”

Shaun Muir , team owner Swan Honda: ”I’m absolutely delighted with the performances of both of my rider for different reasons. Easton was fantastic riding through the pain barrier and it has been quite a psychological week for him but his consistency will pay off. Ellison was great to come through from tenth on the grid to finish third in the opener and then to start second and win was a testament to his desire to win the championship. We wanted good points on the board here, and we have done just that.”

Havier Beltran, team manager HM Plant Honda:
“Very frustrating for us. Kiyo had an electrical problem, came into the pits to clarify it, was able to leave, but then it happened again and he decided to turn it off. We know that we have the pace to be at the front. We have a lot of work to do for Thruxton, but we go there knowing that we can be at the front.”

Results Round01
POS / NAME / NAT / BIKE / TIME / GAP
1 / Tommy HILL / GBR / Suzuki - Worx Crescent Suzuki / 23:10.296 /
2 / Ryuichi KIYONARI / JPN / Honda - HM Plant Honda / 23:11.019 / 0,723
3 / James ELLISON / GBR / Honda - Swan Honda / 23:14.903 / 4,607
4 / Alastair SEELEY / GBR / Suzuki - Relentless Suzuki by TAS / 23:14.951 / 4,655
5 / Josh BROOKES / AUS / Honda - HM Plant Honda / 23:19.081 / 8,785
6 / Stuart EASTON / GBR / Honda - Swan Honda / 23:20.894 / 10,6
7 / Michael RUTTER / GBR / Ducati - RidersMotorcycles.Com / 23:22.152 / 11,86
8 / Dan LINFOOT / GBR / Yamaha - Motorpoint Yamaha / 23:30.375 / 20,08
9 / Chris WALKER / GBR / Suzuki - CW Racing / 23:30.507 / 20,21 10 / John LAVERTY / GBR / Kawasaki - Buildbase Kawasaki / 23:30.881 / 20,59
11 / Martin JESSOPP / GBR / Ducati - RidersMotorcycles.Com / 23:36.006 / 0.026
12 / Yukio KAGAYAMA / JPN / Suzuki - Worx Crescent Suzuki / 23:36.653 / 26,36
13 / Gary MASON / GBR / Kawasaki - MSS Colchester Kawasaki / 23:38.584 / 28,29
14 / Steve BROGAN / GBR / BMW - Jentin Racing - BMW Motorrad / 23:45.163 / 34,87
15 / Peter HICKMAN / GBR / Yamaha - Ultimate Racing / 23:45.664 / 35,37

Fastest lap: Lap 9 Josh BROOKES AUS Honda - HM Plant Honda 45,879

Round02
POS / NAME / NAT / BIKE / LAPS / TIME / GAP
1 / James ELLISON / GBR / Honda - Swan Honda / 23:03.278 /
2 / Tommy HILL / GBR / Suzuki - Worx Crescent Suzuki / 23:03.464 / 0,186
3 / Alastair SEELEY / GBR / Suzuki - Relentless Suzuki by TAS / 23:08.203 / 4,925
4 / Michael LAVERTY / GBR / Suzuki - Relentless Suzuki by TAS / 23:09.989 / 6,711
5 / Stuart EASTON / GBR / Honda - Swan Honda / 23:25.328 / 0.022
6 / Michael RUTTER / GBR / Ducati - RidersMotorcycles.Com / 23:25.481 / 22,203
7 / John LAVERTY / GBR / Kawasaki - Buildbase Kawasaki / 23:30.606 / 27,328
8 / Simon ANDREWS / GBR / Kawasaki - MSS Colchester Kawasaki / 23:33.119 / 29,841
9 / Martin JESSOPP / GBR / Ducati - RidersMotorcycles.Com / 23:39.163 / 35,885 10 / Steve BROGAN / GBR / BMW - Jentin Racing - BMW Motorrad / 23:40.767 / 37,489
11 / Adam JENKINSON / GBR / Kawasaki - Buildbase Kawasaki / 23:42.315 / 39,037
12 / Luke JONES / GBR / Yamaha - PR Racing M / Cs & Moore / 23:44.468 / 0.041
13 / Christian IDDON / GBR / Honda -
Sorrymate.com SMT Honda / 23:45.690 / 42,412
14 / Steve MERCER / GBR / Yamaha - SMR Racing / 23:45.896 / 42,618
15 / Hudson KENNAUGH / RSA / Kawasaki - MAR Kawasaki / 23:47.804 / 44,526

Fastest lap: Lap 18 Alastair SEELEY GBR Suzuki - Relentless Suzuki by TAS 45,671

Championship points after 2 rounds
Name Total
HILL 45, ELLISON 41, SEELEY 29, EASTON 21, KIYONARI 20, RUTTER 19, LAVERTY 15, LAVERTY 13, JESSOPP 12, BROOKES 11, LINFOOT 8, BROGAN 8, ANDREWS 8, WALKER 7, JENKINSON 5.
Nutter magnet

Ads By Google User is online

Ads By Google
  • Ad Bots

Don't want these Ads? Why not help support TC and sign up as a Trials Central Supporter?

#2 the addict

the addict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts
  • Bike:Dirty Donna
  • Club:none yet but working on it

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:01 PM

Great racing today, my tip Tommy had a blinding round, Bridewell was really impressive even though he lobbed it twice and said **** on the grid lol. Hodgson has been well and truely woken up to the best domestic road racing series in the world, hope he comes good or ****s off out of it. Hope Glen recovers quickly, that lad has no luck at all. Roll on Thruxton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users