New Bars

jonnybmac

Okay, so I invited my mate out to have a go of my bike on wednesday... When he first jumpd on it he popped the clutch out and flew into a tree. I told him to get back on nd he did. He pottered about and started gonig up a few hills within a few hours. Then I took him back into a tight section and his finger slipped off clutch and smashed straight into a tree. I took the bike home and called it a day after that and cleand it down. I've been out today and the clutch elver is bent and my handlebars are abit cuddy wift too. I felt a slight disliken to the bike as it didnt feel the same... although I could still do pretty much the same thing, only my wrists and hand ached.

I'm not going to tell the lad that my bars are bent ect as it will make him feel bad, but I need some new bars and a new clutch. If im changing my bars for new ones so soon, I want to get some decent ones and not the same. I want to think ahh,, new and feels better, and not that I've spent money for the same as how it was.

I dont understand all these sizes when it comes to bars, and what fat bars are and my requirments to get one (spacers/risers) ect.

I've checked around the forums but still dont understand. Can anyone point me in the direction of some bars and whatever else I need for a budget of around

hes never ridden a bike before and it was my idea to teach him. I set him off in second and he pulled the clutch out too fst and his weight shifted and wound the throttle on. Wasnt his fault and as I said It was my own fault for letting him have a go so cant blame him.. Thats why I want an upgrade and not the same one, so I dont feel as bad forking out the money.

I still want the same height if thats possible, and maybe same feel if not something you think would be better. I can adapt to better :thumbup:

These are the bars I have on now

21032010303.jpg

Ive read somewhere on here

With Protaper adapters and the Suzuki Factory/ KTM bar bend, the bar height is almost exactly the same as the originals.

That sounds like what I'm looking for. same hight fat bars and I've read the pro taper are pretty strong. But what adapter and what bar? lol

I think the choice is really down to you, i use renthal bars which i think are 7'/8" on 03 sherco which seem to be spot on for me, slighty toward the rear (if that make sence) pop down to Graham charltons as am sure he has a selection

Do yourself a favor.....don't use adaptors.....so don't buy fatbars. Both of these things will change the dynamics of the bike and how you ride it.

I've recently bought Rental (not fitted them yet). They look good but not as good as the standard cross brace Sherco bars....still the best in my mind because the bend is spot on (for me) and they are strong too.

Try not to read to much marketing hype about how strong bars are :thumbup:

Best of balance.

Neo

Hi

Are you sure that the bars are bent?

If your mate ran into a tree with the front wheel at speed it may be that the forks are twisted.

Not as serious as it sounds, simply loosen off all the fork clamps a little, both top and bottom yolkes.

Give the front end a good shake about, if it has twisted then with it all loose everything should settle back into it`s proper place.

tighten up the clamps and have a ride around, you may find all is ok.

bars don`t bend easy it usually takes a direct impact on the bars themselves at full lock and a fall from a great height.

Hope you are lucky and don`t need to shell out

Cheers

Whiz

Edit SNAP

Edited by whiz

I know exactly what you mean about the slight bend, makes it even more interesting when you lift the front into a rock or bank & find you topple to 1 side due to your shoulders being at different heights

If they are the original bars they've survived well, have more than 1 bent set sitting around, both domino(standard fitment) & renthal. Both that I can remember bending involved 8 or so feet drops onto the bars

If you decide on renthals then you'll want 5inch rise, feel very much the same as the original domimos & you can add some colour to the front end while you're at it

Hi

Are you sure that the bars are bent?

If your mate ran into a tree with the front wheel at speed it may be that the forks are twisted.

Not as serious as it sounds, simply loosen off all the fork clamps a little, both top and bottom yolkes.

Give the front end a good shake about, if it has twisted then with it all loose everything should settle back into it`s proper place.

tighten up the clamps and have a ride around, you may find all is ok.

bars don`t bend easy it usually takes a direct impact on the bars themselves at full lock and a fall from a great height.

Hope you are lucky and don`t need to shell out

Cheers

Whiz

Edit SNAP

Agree, takes a keen eye on things to insurethe bars are off rather than the front being tweeked off center and twisted a bit. Much ck this closly and or try puttin a straight edge rule or summat across the top humps in the bars to compare with the top clamps alignment.

If you loosten the clamps and brace, you can stand in front of the bike with the tire between your legs and tweat things round qiute a bit before re tightning things.

I always liked the stock Domino bars as well,and can be found inexpensive. :thumbup: