Montesa 349

jasper999

Hi Everyone :thumbup:

I recently bought a Montesa 349, with the idea of doing some twinshock trials with some of my mates. When I bought it, it came in a box - apparently with all the parts except the front mudguard - what they didn't say was how much was missing! However, I have managed to rebuild it and she's looking really good now, but I there are a couple of parts I'm struggling to find.

Firstly, the airbox. It did come with one, but having got her almost built up, I think it must be for an earlier model as when it's fitted, there is no way I can get the front cover off through the frame. From the photos, can anyone tell me if this is actually the right airbox??

003-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

Secondly, the kickstart. Again, it did come with one, but all the splines inside are worn away and it's useless.

As I'm wanting to ride the bike, I'm trying not to spend a fortune finding replacement parts, or make it so pristine that I daren't ride it for fear of scratching it.

So if anyone knows where I could find these 2 parts at a reasonable price.... (I have contacted InMotion, who were very helpful, but they don't have any airboxes, and the Mrs won't let me spend

Were the same Dave.

Not having ever owned a late 349 means I'm not certain but I think they had a different box which was common with the 330, so if you want one I'd guess you're looking for rocking horse ****. I do know that the frame there & the airbox do not match, that airbox is top fixed & the 348 I have has a frame to match it hole wise. I think you need to be googleing round for some pictures because I'm not 100% convinced that what you've got is all one bike.

Edited by AmigoLoco

Not having ever owned a late 349 means I'm not certain but I think they had a different box which was common with the 330, so if you want one I'd guess you're looking for rocking horse ****. I do know that the frame there & the airbox do not match, that airbox is top fixed & the 348 I have has a frame to match it hole wise. I think you need to be googleing round for some pictures because I'm not 100% convinced that what you've got is all one bike.

Thanks for your help :thumbup:

When I bought the bike, there were 2 barrels and 2 heads - one with a decompressor, and one without. From what I can understand, the later ones didn't run the decompressor, but I've opted to use it - don't know if I've done right by doing this, but I'm sure I'll find out!!

At the back of the frame, below the airbox, there are 2 brackets which must fasten to something - and I'm presuming these must be for the correct airbox, as they don't match up to the airbox I have.

I know this is an '83 and have also found out that the owner manual that came with it is for an earlier model (went through it to find out what was missing on the bike, bought the bits then found out I didn't need them - bloody typical!)

When you say you're not convinced it's not all one bike, what else do you think is incorrect on it? Just so I can change it now, rather than finding out any further on down the line.

Thanks again

Not having ever owned a late 349 means I'm not certain but I think they had a different box which was common with the 330

The 330 'box was different. Trust me. I owned two 349s and they were the same as the 348.

Edited by TooFastTim

From your pictures your airbox looks exactly the same as the one fitted to my MH349, which is what your bike is. There are 3 versions of the last 349 Cota - the Cota 349/4, the Cota 350 and the MH349 - they are all the same bike, just different colours. The obvious identifiers of these models are the kicked up swingarm at the spindle end, the welded in frame tubes from the footrest to the front of the seat (bolt on for earlier models) and the exhaust that comes outside the frame before passing over the cylinder head.

The front panel looks a bit fiddly to remove but it does look as though it will come out with the airbox in situ. I haven't tried as I bought the bike as a rebuild job and it's only just going back together. I'm assuming mine is standard fitment, it only had two bolts holding it on at the top, the airbox itself has three mounting points on the top but one is hidden beneath a frame tube so can't be used.

Mine also has the two brackets on the rear frame tubes behind the airbox. I'd assumed they may be for a splash guard or possibly lower mounting points for an original shape rear mudguard, but they are not for the airbox.

As mentioned in a previous post, the 330 has a completely different airbox from the 349.

I've never had earlier models of the 349, the original red one or the next model white wonder, so don't know if they all share the same airbox. They seem to from the pictures and comments already posted.

From your pictures your airbox looks exactly the same as the one fitted to my MH349, which is what your bike is. There are 3 versions of the last 349 Cota - the Cota 349/4, the Cota 350 and the MH349 - they are all the same bike, just different colours. The obvious identifiers of these models are the kicked up swingarm at the spindle end, the welded in frame tubes from the footrest to the front of the seat (bolt on for earlier models) and the exhaust that comes outside the frame before passing over the cylinder head.

The front panel looks a bit fiddly to remove but it does look as though it will come out with the airbox in situ. I haven't tried as I bought the bike as a rebuild job and it's only just going back together. I'm assuming mine is standard fitment, it only had two bolts holding it on at the top, the airbox itself has three mounting points on the top but one is hidden beneath a frame tube so can't be used.

Mine also has the two brackets on the rear frame tubes behind the airbox. I'd assumed they may be for a splash guard or possibly lower mounting points for an original shape rear mudguard, but they are not for the airbox.

As mentioned in a previous post, the 330 has a completely different airbox from the 349.

I've never had earlier models of the 349, the original red one or the next model white wonder, so don't know if they all share the same airbox. They seem to from the pictures and comments already posted.

Thank you for that woody :) you have saved me a lot of head scratching :rotfl: Now i can carry on with putting it all together :):D