Fantic Section Overheating

sectionone

I finally figured out why my 95 Section was running poorly. Putting around in 1st was OK but when I went out on the trail the engine started knocking and lose power. I noticed when I gave it throttle the water hose between the pump and radiator would constrict, cutting off coolant flow. I couldn't find an auto heater hose that would fit so I used a ribbed stainless steel natural gas hose that bends to any shape. I put silicone adhesive in the grooves and used heater hose and hose clamps to connect to the fittings. Overheating problem solved! It's a gradual problem that gets worse as the hose softens. It gets worse when the engine overheats and the hose gets even softer. It doesn't help that the hose is stuck between the exhaust pipe and cylinder.

I think I did some engine damage on my trail ride while overheating. The engine is noisier than it was before. Time for new rings? When the coolant flow gets cut off, it can't boil over and give you warning before the damage is done.

You may want to check for restriction in the radiator itself , the collapsing hose may be a symptom of a blocked up radiator ...

Glenn

And where in the southeast are you ? I'm in SC. Us Fantic folk gotta stick together !!!

Edited by axulsuv

Damn Glenn,as I was reading this just before heading out to work this morning I thought the same thing,didn't have enough time to post it then,logged on here and you beat me to it.

Do Sections have a thermostat? cars have a spring in the suction side hose to prevent hose collapse when the t-stat is shut,maybe your t-stat is not opening? I dunno,I'm still a aircooled trials guy :rotfl:

Except for some large street bikes , I've never seen a bike with a t stat like a car , most are constant full flow systems , with the thermastat being a electrical temp sensor that controls the cooling fan circuit ...

Hey Glenn, I'm in Atlanta and I might have seen you at the Cornelia STRA event a couple of years ago. You were checking with a Fantic shirt. I usually ride my Gas Gas at events. There was an English gent at the last couple of STRA event riding a very nice Fantic 240 Pro.

My Section has the fan wired with a manual switch since I burned through two thermostats that cost over $25 each. It doesn't touch the coolant and screws on top of the cylinder head. Perhaps the overheating damaged them. They are made in China for probably a few pennies but I can't find a cheaper source for the T-key C1-2014

C1-2014_thermostat.JPG Any ideas for a source? They are also used in toaster ovens.

It is running good now but it sounds like a rattly old air cooled 2-stroke. Before the overheating it had a tighter, smoother sound.

Except for some large street bikes , I've never seen a bike with a t stat like a car , most are constant full flow systems , with the thermastat being a electrical temp sensor that controls the cooling fan circuit ...

My 640 LC4e has a T-stat, and so did the 380EXC I used to own, Since I have never owned or worked on a liquid cooled trials bike I did not want to assume.

"Rattly old air cooled 2-stroke" sounds like my 309( She's coming apart right after the 240 goes back together!) Check with Tryalshop,he likely has pistons if yours is hurt

Edited by htrdoug

Hey Glenn, I'm in Atlanta and I might have seen you at the Cornelia STRA event a couple of years ago. You were checking with a Fantic shirt. I usually ride my Gas Gas at events. There was an English gent at the last couple of STRA event riding a very nice Fantic 240 Pro.

Yeah that would've been me ... And I believe your talking about Paul with the 240 , Haven't met him in person yet , but have communicated thru the keyboard several times ...

I'm pretty involved with MTR (charlotte , NC based ) and ITSA events but I'll get to at least one or two STRA events this year ...

I'd like to see the section and see if I can get a coolant temp type switch to fit on it somewhere ... And Paul lives near you too ,

I'm just outside of charleston ... But I get to go to NC this weekend and check out another new locale for some MTR events :) already a riding area and the owner wants trials events there !!:D

Glenn :rotfl:

And Doug , what the heck is a 640 LC4e ???

Edited by axulsuv