What Am I Doing Wrong

cabby

At only my second trial yesterday I had a nightmare. Kept falling off on the hills, it was really getting me down, like I'd clear it one lap, fall off for a 5 the next. Then the next hill I'd fall off again, ir get stuck and take a 5.

I didn't enjoy the day at tbh.

Welcome to trials ! The only advice I will offer is to make some friends with the local riders and practice. Usually better riders will offer some advice to help you when your out practicing and ask a few questions. Good luck and have fun !

Hey,

you are not doing something wrong, you are learning.

trials is not easy and you do need to practice a lot but it will go better soon

try to get some advice from better riders and learn the basics first.

you will see its a lot of fun

best regards bob

Absolutely agree.

Get some advice...but better still, buy yourelf a lesson with someone worthwhile.

Also, read the Bernie Schreiber book. There is one for sale on TC now. Great book! Also the ryan young dvd, and the steve saunders dvd. Dont just assume you'll learn through trial and error. Its possible you could be using a completely incorrect technique. You MUST be mindfull of that, coz if you are, then you will just be practicing the wrong technique and be getting better at doing it wrongly,...if you see what I mean.

Always seek advice from a pro, not just from the local pub.

Was out tonight on my own, I think using first gear all the time was my undoing, also, I think now I don't need to rip up hills, they can be taken slower, I just need to get some confidence, although that's in short supply after the weekend. :wall:

you can get up most hills easyer by slipping the clutch so it doesnt spin as much. gearing is all about experience. Best thing to do is watch a few decent people, study their body positions and what gears they use. I struggled on hills to start off with but now I fly up cliffs. I learnt that you gotta squat and not just put all your weight on the front end.. Also by slipping the clutch rather than blipping the throttle it allows the engine to constantly be at full revs and not on and fof which means the front end is more prone to lifting, and by slipping the clutch in a tiny bit if it does lift up, brings the front end down without loosing your momentum

At such an early stage you need to be riding with others and as much as you can if riding in a trial or practising anyway. Others will soon point you in the right direction and help you iron out any faults. It doesn't come in five minutes as venues and terrain differ as does the weather etc. If you can get to a trials school they are well worth the money, I went to Saunders school only once and learnt a lot and I will go again . Good luck and stick with it. :wall:

• 4 weeks later...
At such an early stage you need to be riding with others and as much as you can if riding in a trial or practising anyway. Others will soon point you in the right direction and help you iron out any faults.

Been trying to get him out with us at our local practice grounds where theres downhill MTB tracks, rocky climbs, uphill river runs, off camber climbs, rock faces etc

I think he's scared :thumbup:

Been trying to get him out with us at our local practice grounds where theres downhill MTB tracks, rocky climbs, uphill river runs, off camber climbs, rock faces etc

I think he's scared :thumbup:

I see you're stalking me on here now, all very tedious geezer yawn.gif, but you'll no get away with yer pish on this site.

fatty !!

Could be worse, could be fat and ginger, like yer sell :thumbup:

Right, I'm bored of you now, mods, keep an eye on this troll, you'll note he'll find my topics and comment, all very predictable :thumbup:

Edited by Thedbf