Sherco Pick Up Coil

madbob

Hi

Just thought I would post a bit of useful information.

I recently bought a 2000 sherco 250 as Spares/Repair with no spark that I found had a missing ignition pick up coil. The Pick-up coil is unavailable from main dealers, all the other stator repair places I could find and even Motoplat could not repair the stator and recommended an upgrade to the later Leonelli system. After many hours on the web doing research I found that a vespa PX200E uses the same coil and a Ducati/energia stator. I ordered the coil last week, fitted it and the bike started straight away with no problems.

I also have a sherco 290 2001 that has the same coil and have ordered a few spares just in case

My thinking is:

If the lad is bright enough to research a specific component like this, then he's probably bright enough to suss out whether it's working as it should. :crying:

Great find Rob,thanks for sharing your findings :thumbup:

Wayne

I'm baffled,

How could it affect the advance curve?

The pick up coil is just a fixed coil, the magnet whizzes past, it sends an electrical pulse to the ECU, the ECU fires the HT coil and hence the plug.

The ECU also calculates the engine rpm from the frequency of the pulses from the stator coils and alters the timing to suit by varying the retardation (it can't actually advance it, it retards it more at low rpm and less at high rpm)

I think it's a great bit of work, Ignition system failures are a major pain in the life of trials riders - ask most Beta owners from the last 15 years, yet the components used are most likely standard or directly replaceable with those fitted to truly mass produced bikes, the hard bit is finding out which.

Well done.

Oh I think I misunderstood, you got just the pick-up coil and fixed it using a pattern part!

Initially I was thinking you got the entire stator plate and an ignition coil/ cdi unit.

I think GII's thinking is basically correct, best I can fathom as just how these things actually function, yet the Leonellis are different in that they are using two trigger coils at 20-26 degree separation it seems. God knows the logic pattern by comparison.

Maybe Steve at Motoplat has would like to know where to get them if he cannot source them, let him know of and get his thoughts. Maybe he has some input?

Apparently a pretty sharp chap.

:thumbup:

Funny thing is that the supposably superior leonelli stator is the only one to have any real problems, I remember there being a leonelli stator available as a kit to fix the dodgy beta stator. First faulty stator I came across on a sherco was in about 03 when the ducati electronica ones were fazed out, the then importer said he hadn't had any fail before then

Funny thing is that the supposably superior leonelli stator is the only one to have any real problems, I remember there being a leonelli stator available as a kit to fix the dodgy beta stator. First faulty stator I came across on a sherco was in about 03 when the ducati electronica ones were fazed out, the then importer said he hadn't had any fail before then

You may well be correct? Seems to me when the Leonelli's do start acting up there may be no obvious pattern to them, just craazy! ;)

You may well be correct? Seems to me when the Leonelli's do start acting up there may be no obvious pattern to them, just craazy! ;)

You can say that again,on mine,that was the most difficult ,time-consuming, fault that I ever had to chase down :P (I'm no mechanic by the way).

This is great information madbob,

Could you give us ANY part numbers you have and maybe some websites that helped you track this down.

I had seen the similarity with the vespa PX200E some months back but didn't investigate it as far as you have ....Well done and thanks for sharing this with us ;)

Best of balance.

Neo