Kick Starting And Neutral Help!

colin1212

Hi, im having problems with kick starting and finding neutral on my bike. Ive been doing motocross for nearly five years and decided to go to trials after moving house. when i got the bike i couldn't start it with one foot planted on the ground. I read a lot of the forums about kick starting and the only way i can get it started is by leaning against a wall. I have a big field and the shed is the only place i can lean on. I stalled it at the bottom of the field and couldn't get it going. Another problem is that i am having is that i cannot get into neutral. When im trying to get it into neutral it always skips it.

Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated,

Matthew

Gassers need more of a knack to start I reckon than other makes. Practice starting with the shed wall to hand, the kickstart and the engine engagement compression have to be positioned just so. Like the video says use your body weight.

You need to actually jump on the kick start rather then just kick it using your thigh. If you get compression klick back it would snap your foot doing it that way. Neutral is always a *******, I tend to only put it in neutral when I need to roll it somewhere, and find using my hand is alot better than my foot as im generally too hard and always miss it. To kick it off I generally just hold my clutch in whilst its in gear

I wouldn't worry too much about the neutral problem. At least if it is difficult to select you shouldn't accidently select it whilst in a section. There is nothing worse than hitting neutral when you think your in second and you just tipple over to the side. As previously mentioned, use your hand to select the neutral. If you are trying to find neutral because you want to park up, just switch off the engine in gear and then find neutral when the engine is off. It is much easier. Hope this helps.

The GasGas is different to any other bike to start. You need to feel that the kickstart is engaging as high up as possible and kick with a nice smooth movement. Its no good kicking it from half way down. Dont jump on it as previously mentioned as it can break the kickstart gear. As mentioned aswell it is far easier to engage neutral when the engine isn't running. Once you get your balance a bit better you will be able to balance and kick it up without a problem.

Depending on where you are (USA here) I have found that a richer pilot jet (#38 I think) than stock helps starting. You'll also find that a Gasser may need to be choked even when hot. Takes a while to sort out starting a pro but once you get the hang of it it's not so bad.