Majesty Swingarm Repair

xvf

Hi fellas.

I have a late (ish, I think) chrome-framed 200 with a very sick swing arm. It looks like it's going to need sawing out, as the spindle seems fairly well seized in the sleeve.

Does anyone know if the standard spindle was reused on the Majesty 200, or am I going to have a 'mare to source a new one post-op? Have contacted some of the likely sources of info, but not heard anything back yet...

Also, there is apparently a good article describing the removal process in issue 2 of Classic Dirt Bike Magazine, which I'm keen to get hold of. Visiting the publishers site, of course the only issue now out of print is issue 2! :D

Anyone have a copy they would either sell me or be prepared to photocopy the relevant pages?

Thanks.

The article you refer to is less than a paragraph.

Using a screwdriver between frame and s/arm to create a gap for the saw blade( with frame upside down) cut through the spindle between the inside of frame and s/arm, blade inside the frame and main saw outside. This will remove the s/arm from the frame, they don't explain what they did next, I would say the old spindle needs to be pressed out, probably with heat etc. Hope this helps.

OK, thanks a lot for that. Not rocket science then!

I assume that I can just drain the oil and fuel and flip the bike upside down for the surgery?

That just leaves the issue of finding replacement parts. Anyone in the know on that front?

Not going to start the repair until I have the bits to hand, as it's still (just about) rideable.

Apparently, the chewed-off parts are removable from the arm with minimal force. Here's hoping that's true...

:D

If I remember rightly, the spindle on the 250 Godden frame was slightly shorter than the Yam framed Majesty (standard TY spindle) However, diameter was the same.

If your 200 is a similar arrangement you should be able to use a standard 175 spindle and shorten it.

This is just a theory, I'm not talking from first hand knowledge as I've never had a 175/200.