Help! Ty250a Stopped

wombat

I have a dead TY250a. It didnt want to play yesterday and today before a major trial today. I spent 1 1/2 hours before dark and 2 hours before the trial trying to get it to work. Fuel, yes: spark, sometimes strong or weak or nothing: air, new clean airfilter. I have checked and cleaned the points, checked the timing, new plug. Compression is good. Checked carby, all ok there.

Any ideas? I've been advised that it could be: coil, condenser or maybe even crank seals.

The bike has been a very reliable bike up til now, Ive serviced it every six months, just cleaned the points not replaced and they are ok. Oil get done every 12 months.

I dont want it to become a shelf item just yet..

Edited by wombat

Hi Wombat,

It's almost certainly the points or maybe the condenser, although they look alright, they just give up the ghost every now and then.

Replace them both and you should be fine.

Or better still, treat yourself to electronic ignition then you can forget all about those problems :

http://www.tytrials.co.uk/

:thumbup:

Edited by majesty

Thanks Majesty i'll get the points and condensor this week! I have 3 trials in the next 3 weeks to get too! Mmm electronic ignition is very tempting, but the pound to the A$ is a bit dodgy at the moment. But it may happen later...

Hey Wombat, the same thing happend to me with a dirt track bike, before anything unplug the kill switch ( and make sure no wire are ground ) and try to strat it.

I was lucky the kill switch was the problem.

Guy

i did that, cleaned the contact area as well. 1 thing has me thinking though, why would it stop after the bike got hot. After about 5 - 10 minutes it coughed and spluttered then died.

aaaah no not that Tony! may as well fork out $400 for the electronic ignition conversion if thats the case. How much will it be to rewind the stators and wiring? Thanks for the info, more and more is coming forward and much appreciated. :thumbup:

I had excactly the same thing,and put one of John's Electronic ignitions in.Perfect an smooth.Tryed it last weekend in Italy on a two day trial.I really can recomend that thing.

Chrs:Mike

Gday, Small Coil rewinds in Sth Aus or a couple of other places will rewind it for much less than the electronic ignition kit. They are a pretty straight forward coil. You could do it your self if you really wanted to. New ones are probably available still I guess no more than $100. Check aftermarket also at your local bike shop. Fit a new condenser, its old enough now any way.

Cheers,

Stork

As Stork says the windings are nothing special so should be reasonable to have rewound unlike a modern stator with it's multiple wire diameters on the same coil. I have seen new coils for sale on ebay before & possibly from a guy this side of the ditch but I can't remember his site, will see if I can find it & post the address up

Just found it http://www.plenternz.com

I see he's listing jets for 74 but no primary coils, Feetupfun may be able to tell us what is interchangeable. Had a look at cmsnl.com to compare part numbers for dt's of the same age & the numbers are the same but for the first 3 digits which are possibly only for model identification, might be worth asking a dealer or similar if thats the case

Edited by tony27

I scored a 'new' source coil yesterday from the local Yamaha dealer, 1st he told me it was $250. Mmmm hang on he said, lets see if we can do better than that, and he did. $150 is all i paid. maybe a bit more than I wanted to pay, but it's new and still in its original package. I know I could have gone to the electronic ignition, but I need this stuff NOW as I have 3 trials in 3 weeks to ride.

I know what you mean when you say you need it now, I got rung up last night about could I find/get a shock for a beta sidecar before next thursday. Normally stuff from the UK gets here in about a week-sometimes faster than from oz, but I still think he's leaving things a bit late