Front Brake Cable Connection

mcman56

Does someone have a parts diagram or picture of the front brake cable connection to the brake for a 71 Alpina? A picture of what I have is below. I would expect some type of clamp or threaded piece to hold the cable but there is just a little bracket with a hole. Does the cable just float on top? Am I missing something? I'm not sure what to make of this. Thanks!!

bulbrake.jpg

As crude as it seems 30 years later, the cable outer simply buts up against the lug on the brake plate. What looks strange in your photo is that the brake arm is on backwards.

Next you will be asking how the devil the cable nipple fits through that little hole in the lug. It doesn't. Another standard feature was removable nipples that use a screw to clamp the nipple to the cable. Unless someone has a photo handy, I will put up a photo showing the setup on my M49 Sherpa, which has the same design as your Alpina photo.

The model 80 (Sherpa) of that same year had exactly the same set up... correct the brake actuator is on upside down!

The cable had what was known as a "solderless nipple" attached (small grub screw on nipple head tightened against cable which was threaded through the nipple).

The brake cable was threaded through the small hole in the boss on the brake plate as shown in your photo, then the solderless nipple was attached to the end of the cable and pushed up and tightened to create a brake cable, leave about 10 mm or so sticking out proud which can be soldered together as required.

Remove the brake actuator (lever) and refit the other way up of course otherwise there is nothing to let the solderless nipple to attach itself to!

You will need to get a brake cable free at one end or get a long one and cut the lower nipple off and get a solderless one. There are several places that stock these.

Big John

Don't forget the linear sprin on the cable between the backing plate lug and the actuatot brake arm. helps the brakes shoes stay off the shoes

This item reminds me that, at least here in Oz, when the next shipment, not just the next model, arrived at the Bultaco dealer and featured little improvements such as the threaded adjuster which was inserted into that ( now slotted ) brake lug, Enthusiasts immediately ordered the necessary parts from Spain if the improvement was worth it.

Another example of owner " improvement " was the first angled carburetor inlet stub on the first Sherpa T 325 ( second run ) which was immediately retrofitted to many models. That mod stopped a lot of carby problems in our hot weather

That practice challenges those " experts " ( or is that model " Nazis" , as in Seinfeld ) who say such and such model has/had a particular design feature at a specific date, particularly when the " expert " is unaware the particular bike being used as the basis of the opinion has been " improved " in its early life either by the factory or by retrofitting in the field by owners

Dave the cable on the mcman56 Sherpa T runs down the rear of the fork slider so it is nothing like your later model set-up that runs down the front of the slider. I'm think your M49 cable runs down the back of the slider.

David

Dave the cable on the mcman56 Sherpa T runs down the rear of the fork slider so it is nothing like your later model set-up that runs down the front of the slider. I'm think your M49 cable runs down the back of the slider.

David

It was more to show the components, like the spring and the thing that grabs the cable. And yes, the M49 is more comparable but it's three bikes deep. Isn't yours more handy? :rolleyes:

It was more to show the components, like the spring and the thing that grabs the cable. And yes, the M49 is more comparable but it's three bikes deep. Isn't yours more handy? :rolleyes:

Ha, I thought you might say that. I actually could get a photo of my M49 front brake real easy because that end of the bike is sticking out, but was taken aback when I went and looked at it - I had forgotten that I had done the mod DabDab talked about on my M49. I didn't want to confuse things with a photo of something non-original so didn't take a photo. Maybe it would be OK though because mr MCman56 might be interested in what a modded one looks like.

Yes - in about 6 hours a photo will be up here.

OK this is my M49 that has been modified by threading a hole in the cable stopper and using an adjuster on the cable outer.

There is also a little hole in the brake arm for a split pin used as a security device to prevent the cable end coming off the arm (required to meet safety specs in our trials competitions)

post-325-1275550311.jpg

Feetupfun

That looks like a nice improvement. What did you use for a brake cable? It looks very Japanese.

Thanks

Dan

That cable is from an Italian aftermarket cable kit. I can't remember the brand - AGV maybe? The rubber concertina boot is from a TY Yamaha cable so no wonder it looks Japanese.